Taking back a student after they've seen another instructor?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
Pitching coaches;
Do you allow students to return to you after they have left to see another instructor.

Every now and then I'll have a parent tell me that their kid needs a break and then call me 6 months later and say she's ready to return to pitching. Most of the time they've been seeing another instructor because when they come back they bring the other instructors drills with them and the hello elbow.

I just had a parent call me for the second time for his daughter to return, but this time he admitted to taking her to another instructor and how she has just fallen apart and lost all her speed and mechanics. He went on about how poor her instructor was about teaching mechanics, just let them do their own thing he said, he said he did change her away from the internal rotation and added the hello elbow. --This particular instructor is one that takes a majority of my students.--And he is right, I've seen my old students pitch after they have begun to go to her but most parents enjoy an instructor telling them their kid is awesome and needs no work.

I understand how parents, kids need to find that right match with an instructor and I'm a tough instructor and I demand my kids work hard because I work hard to teach them.--That doesn't appeal some parents.

I am going to go ahead and see her, but it will be tough getting her back to where she was and if they didn't like the way I was tough before they won't like it now.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
If they leave I wouldn't take them back. Tell them that up front. It's people looking for a quick avenue for success and not understanding that to be a good pitcher it takes a lot of work.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This wouldn't even concern me. I don't ask where they have been. The kid can't drive or pay the bills. It is all about the girls and when they are coming to me, they are "my girls." Sure, I have seen them go get messed up somewhere, but then, they need me more than ever.

Jun 18, 2010
Not a Pitching Coach, but offering a perspective as a parent...

Were the Parents/Student nice & polite?
Did they treat you with respect?
Did they pay you promptly for your services rendered?
Did they show up on time for scheduled appointments?
When they decided to take a break, did they give you appropriate notice?

I don't see anything wrong with a Parent/Student taking a break from an instructor, or even trying another instructor out. I think you should be flattered they want to return to you after kicking the tires elsewhere. I have a lot of respect for pitchers and their parents knowing the time, energy, and money it takes to progress and improve. Maybe they were naive thinking the grass was greener on the other side, but give them credit for recognizing the benefit your service provided and asking to come back. This isn't easy on the parent side either.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I don't see anything wrong with a Parent/Student taking a break from an instructor, or even trying another instructor out. I think you should be flattered they want to return to you after kicking the tires elsewhere. I have a lot of respect for pitchers and their parents knowing the time, energy, and money it takes to progress and improve. Maybe they were naive thinking the grass was greener on the other side, but give them credit for recognizing the benefit your service provided and asking to come back. This isn't easy on the parent side either.

Totally agree.
Unless they were a bad family or your are currently booked up don't see why you wouldn't take them back.

Oct 22, 2009
In this particular instance, they were good parents, as far as the notice of breaking off, both times there was no notice.

If the student was a poor student and had a bad attitude along with the parents, it would be probably be an easier decision.

During my lessons, I ALWAYS ask, about their workouts, games, what did they throw, how was it working, what was getting hit, swung at, missed, etc. I always ask the parents what do you feel, needs to be improved. We have good talks about what I expect and what the parents want to see out of their DD. It's just frustrating when everything seems to be going fine and she's pitching well, she's the ace on her team, her team finishes out top 3 at every tournament, mostly winning and even winning when playing up, and all of a sudden they take her somewhere else.

It kind of leaves a trust issue now, that whenever I talk to them now, they are not being honest with me.

Apr 4, 2012
It's people looking for a quick avenue for success and not understanding that to be a good pitcher it takes a lot of work.

One thing you could do to stop girls from leaving in the first place is just tell the parent you will show them the super secret grip that all the D1 girls use. You know, the one that if their daughter knew they would be the most dominant 10 year old pitcher within 500 miles or more. Within hours of learning this grip their mail box will be full of scholarship letters from every school in the country.

I mean, after all there has to be a trick right. This whole hard work and dedication might work on the kids but the parents know it's all just an illusion. Their daughter has to be better than all the others, and you are just a lousy coach who won't teacher her the real way to throw.

Just pull back the curtain and let them see.

On a more honest note I would say take her back. Like has already been said the parents pay so they decide when she needs a new coach.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I always take them back. In fact, I am glad to do it, because perhaps they thought the grass was greener and now realize it isn't. Some parents get talked into it by someone in the organization their daughter plays for -- this is the person you need to see, he/she is the greatest ever, blah blah blah.

Do they come back messed up? Sure. If they didn't they probably wouldn't come back in the first place. I find that those who leave and come back -- the company I work for calls employees who do that "boomerangs" -- generally do so with more of an appreciation for what I bring to the table than when they left. I have one mom in particular who is now my biggest fan and promoter. Of course, it helps that her daughter was struggling in games and I was able to get her fixed (basically) in about five minutes. Getting her fully on track again took longer, but just seeing her able to finish a game instead of getting yanked out due to wildness was a real plus in mom's eyes.

I also find that they tend to listen better and work harder when they boomerang. Sometimes you don't know how good you have it until you try something else. I'd rather they didn't, but it happens sometimes.