Lessons $$$$ or Ethics/Purpose/Goal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The term is "Accountability" and how do you hold them to their goals? Video is good.

Why are they going to lessons? What are THEIR goals? Long Term and Sh. ort term? How do they achieve them? How are the goals measured? If they are meeting expectations, how do you get them on track?
Blast Motion can allow Coach/instructor to monitor exactly how much work the student has put in between lessons.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thank you to posters for offering feedback and discussion points.

Using this analogy/ comparison.
(For purpose of topic let's say it's ongoing lessons and not just one two or three)
A parent buys their kid/ teenager something that costs $1,000 or more. If they were to buy their kid $1,000 guitar or bicycle or? Whatever for $1000... once the item leaves the store there is no further connection.
The item gets home and can just sit in the corner.

In school teachers are paid an hourly wage and a group of students sit and get the same instruction/lessons. It is up to the student and potentially responsible party would be a parent for the classroom lessons to be applied and learned.
Per semester or yearly the classroom will change students. Revolving door situation. Same pay for teacher.

On a one and one basis of instruction. Sports lessons. Can see that retail purchase comparison however because it is connected with teaching...
And does *not have to be revolving door situation like classrooms. Adds a different Factor into this conversation of what the purpose is of offering lessons.

This is where I think there's a difference of money and time.

$$$$, Without regard for if the student doesnt practice and can be a revolving door of students, wouldn't matter because it's just to earn money.

Then there is the purpose and goal of why lessons are being offered. What money can buy is a spot of opportunity.
For me, because there are limited spots available on the schedule. What I have always considered really important is the purpose and goal of developing softball players. While it may be difficult to get to a point to ask people to step off the schedule.
I know that opening up that spot will open an opportunity to another softball student who has a purpose and goal. The purpose and goal will be fulfilled, money will still come in!
From an ethical standpoint, I suppose it comes down to the instructor's intentions. The goal should be to help the student improve. However, that requires that the student work at their skill. As long as the instructor is doing their part, I do not see an ethical issue.

That said, I know some instructors that are better salespeople than they are instructors. They gain students because they are charismatic and good talkers. I have a bigger issue with that person's ethics than someone who's intentions are good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles