Switching Teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 15, 2019
Hi everyone, thanks for reading.... My DD has been playing rec ball for about 5 years. The league formed a travel ball team that she joined over the summer and her teammates were kids she played rec ball with - a few she had known for a few years. There was some drama with the league over the summer and we decided to try out for another team. She made it and we were excited. She is a pitcher and has a PC once a week and is pretty darn good. There are 14 kids on the roster and needless to say, she isn’t getting the playing time we’d like. She has saved us in some games, but probably only pitches 3 or 4 innings per tournament. When not pitching, she might play left or right but often sits on the bench with 4 other girls. This of course results in no ABs which is frustrating too. She is a good ball player and I feel like she has to prove herself all over again. The coach told us to ‘trust the process,” but I don’t think I am.

Fast forward - Another organization is forming and all her former teammates are switching over to it. They are holding open tryouts soon and her old Coach said she’s welcome to try out. Of course she wants to. She misses all of her “friends” and I would love her to have some fun. They would probably have 11 or 12 players and I know she would play more... a lot more because they know what she can do. If we do try out and she makes it like I presume, how do we inform the current coach on short notice? I would feel bad ditching them, but with 14 kids he shouldn’t miss us, right? They are switching over soon so we’d have to act fast. This month’s fees are due for the current team and there are practices scheduled and a tournament this month (both teams would be in same tournament). After that, there will only be practices until spring. Should we skip paying for our current team and focus on the new team? I know parents talk and I am dreading all of this and don’t want a bad rep for us or our kid. Any advice or word of wisdom are appreciated. TIA

Jul 14, 2019
Number one....be open and honest as this is a small world and you’re gonna see the same people for the most part every weekend. At some point you may want to return to your current team so you don’t want to burn any bridges.

If it was me, i would tell the current coach that while you can trust the process, you daughter is missing out on not playing and you want her to have fun in the process therefore you may be looking at other options for the spring. If she makes this new team, then i would tell him that you’re in no way trying to not fulfill your current commitment, so you will finish out the last tournament if he would like, but will be moving on to another team for next season. We went through this recently last year and told our old coach that we would do whatever they felt was best for our current team to finish the season before moving on.

That teaches your daughter commitment as well as doing what makes her happy. It’s ok to switch, you just need to do it right. Just like a job, you give notice and keep good face wherever you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
What is the age group? 14 is a big roster.

It's tough to balance keeping a good reputation and not being known as the family that jumps teams, but as a parent your DD comes 1st. My DD's team has 10 and they would like to have 11 if they can find that perfect fit, but if not they are good with what we have. At 12U, I don't think I would put my DD on a team of more than 11.

I agree with what Razor011 said above. Tell the new team you have to finish your commitment to the current team. Once the last tournament is over, tell your old team you are leaving. Be civil and thankful for everything they did for your DD.

May 29, 2015
I agree with @Razor011 100%. I also agree with what you are trying to accomplish: maintaining your daughter’s love of the game and desire to play. Nothing kills that faster in a kid than riding the pine.

My thoughts on playing time are no secret, but let me play Devil’s Advocate for a moment: You left a rec program where you were a top dog. You were the new guy (with no experience at this level) on a travel team that presumably had been together for some amount of time. Now you are “paying your dues” and are not happy about it. Similar to walking into a high school program as a freshman and expecting start.

My point is you need to have your expectations in line. This is true when changing teams, but especially when changing levels of play. Whether you are a coach, a team, or a player ... too many times the expectation is unrealistic and dreams are shattered, teams are destroyed, and friendships end up tested.

You were a big fish in a small pond. You jumped into the ocean ... and now you want to go back to the pond so you can be a big fish again. That is not necessarily wrong — YOU just have to know what is best for YOU.

Apr 6, 2017
If he's flabbergasted she's leaving he should have been playing her more. 14 kids is to many. I'd find a team that's 10 or 11. I wouldn't pay anymore money. Figure out for sure and tell him, it's not a debate with
the old coach at this point. Tell him thanks and what not..

Aug 15, 2019
Number one....be open and honest as this is a small world and you’re gonna see the same people for the most part every weekend. At some point you may want to return to your current team so you don’t want to burn any bridges.

If it was me, i would tell the current coach that while you can trust the process, you daughter is missing out on not playing and you want her to have fun in the process therefore you may be looking at other options for the spring. If she makes this new team, then i would tell him that you’re in no way trying to not fulfill your current commitment, so you will finish out the last tournament if he would like, but will be moving on to another team for next season. We went through this recently last year and told our old coach that we would do whatever they felt was best for our current team to finish the season before moving on.

That teaches your daughter commitment as well as doing what makes her happy. It’s ok to switch, you just need to do it right. Just like a job, you give notice and keep good face wherever you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! That is great advice for sure!!

Aug 15, 2019
What is the age group? 14 is a big roster.

It's tough to balance keeping a good reputation and not being known as the family that jumps teams, but as a parent your DD comes 1st. My DD's team has 10 and they would like to have 11 if they can find that perfect fit, but if not they are good with what we have. At 12U, I don't think I would put my DD on a team of more than 11.

I agree with what Razor011 said above. Tell the new team you have to finish your commitment to the current team. Once the last tournament is over, tell your old team you are leaving. Be civil and thankful for everything they did for your DD.
Hi! It’s just 10u, so yeah, 14 is a lot... and then he picked up one of his old pitchers who is moving up after fall, so now she gets to play even less. :-(

Aug 15, 2019
If he's flabbergasted she's leaving he should have been playing her more. 14 kids is to many. I'd find a team that's 10 or 11. I wouldn't pay anymore money. Figure out for sure and tell him, it's not a debate with
the old coach at this point. Tell him thanks and what not..
Yeah, that’s my dilemma. Do we want to pay dues for this month and tourney fees for an out of state game coming up when she probably barely play anyways? Especially if we tell him our plans...

Aug 15, 2019
I agree with @Razor011 100%. I also agree with what you are trying to accomplish: maintaining your daughter’s love of the game and desire to play. Nothing kills that faster in a kid than riding the pine.

My thoughts on playing time are no secret, but let me play Devil’s Advocate for a moment: You left a rec program where you were a top dog. You were the new guy (with no experience at this level) on a travel team that presumably had been together for some amount of time. Now you are “paying your dues” and are not happy about it. Similar to walking into a high school program as a freshman and expecting start.

My point is you need to have your expectations in line. This is true when changing teams, but especially when changing levels of play. Whether you are a coach, a team, or a player ... too many times the expectation is unrealistic and dreams are shattered, teams are destroyed, and friendships end up tested.

You were a big fish in a small pond. You jumped into the ocean ... and now you want to go back to the pond so you can be a big fish again. That is not necessarily wrong — YOU just have to know what is best for YOU.
I totally get it Blue, but I had no idea 5 kids would ride the bench, including her. And she hardly gets to bat either. How are these kids supposed to get better when they don’t get live experience? She is a great hitter too. Her coach is awesome - don’t get me wrong - and teaches the girls a lot, but practices are usually only once a week for about 3 1/2 hours whereas this new team will have two facility practices each week and my kid would get to play.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
They are switching over soon so we’d have to act fast. This month’s fees are due for the current team and there are practices scheduled and a tournament this month (both teams would be in same tournament). After that, there will only be practices until spring. Should we skip paying for our current team and focus on the new team? I know parents talk and I am dreading all of this and don’t want a bad rep for us or our kid. Any advice or word of wisdom are appreciated. TIA

She is never going to develop into a pitcher unless she pitches.

If she isn't pitching 40% of the innings, then you have to find a new team. It really is that simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd