Switching Teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2016
Again, an opinion I may get flak for, but a roster of 14 usually means “I need extra people to subsidize the cost of my actual team“.

14 players at 10U is crazy. 10U should still be about learning the fundamentals of the game and having fun. If the coach is more worried about winning and playing his regulars over getting growth and playing time for all, than I may be looking elsewhere. If she's a pitcher she needs to get innings and balancing more than 3 pitchers on a 10U team...heck any team...is a nightmare.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
General rule of thumb for TB families. Find a team that has excellent coaching and where your DD gets 90% of the playing time including, If she's a pitcher 40% plus of circle time or if she's a catcher, 50% plus of plate time.

Jun 12, 2015
14 players in 10U is crazy. My opinion is 10-11 in 10U, 11-12 in 12U and 12-14 in 14U. For pitcher in 10U, circle time is crucial. Pitching practice is not the same as pitching in a live game with batters and pressure. They need that experience.

May 6, 2015
as stated above, 14 on a 10u team is a signal, run do not walk away. I would not even worry about commitment, the HC already broke is commitment to you and DD, cannot develop (esp at 10u) without PT. Unless he told you before signing that the intention is to try and win every game, development was second, at 10u the assumption needs to be player development is priority.

and dont worry about getting bad name because of this team, I bet he churns the bottom half of his pitching roation and bottom third of his lineup every year. those players are there to be a dues paying insurance policy for injuries.

Jun 4, 2019
Not saying I disagree, but why do some think 10-11 at 10u, but more at 14u is good? I would think the younger girls take sitting on the bench every so often better than older girls would. Younger catchers need rest in the heat, pitchers tire quicker, young girls sometimes get hurt, etc. I would think you want 11-12 at 10u and then down to 10 as you get older.

Not sure I’d want to be the 12th player on a 14u team. At 10U it’s about player development and learning the game at different positions. By the time your 14, either you can play or or you can’t. Just my opinion.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not saying I disagree, but why do some think 10-11 at 10u, but more at 14u is good? I would think the younger girls take sitting on the bench every so often better than older girls would. Younger catchers need rest in the heat, pitchers tire quicker, young girls sometimes get hurt, etc. I would think you want 11-12 at 10u and then down to 10 as you get older.

Not sure I’d want to be the 12th player on a 14u team. At 10U it’s about player development and learning the game at different positions. By the time your 14, either you can play or or you can’t. Just my opinion.

In general, as the team ages, the players have other responsibilities. College visits, college camps, etc. Even if the team is not focused on college, you will still miss players due to things like prom. I'm sure there are exceptions but we needed a larger roster as we aged up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand