Switching Players Positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2014
Dear friends,

I would love some help with the dilemma that we are having. It's the opening of the 3rd inning fast pitch softball. Home is winning 14-0. While having a player at bat from the visitor team the coach of the home team makes a switch between his 1st base going to second base and his second base going to first. So no new player entered or left the game, just a switch between 2 players that already are on the rooster and in the field playing. The coach did not officially inform the umpire. After the switch a pitch is being delivered. And it is after this pitch that the coach of the visitor team tell the umpire that he will continue the game under protest because a switch between players took place without the coach of the home team officially informing the umpire.

So who can help me out with this decision can be? The game ended in the 3rd inning 15-0. Please inform!

Jun 22, 2008
Unless this was an NCAA game there is no requirement to report position only changes. For that matter, even if it was an unreported substitution depending on the rule set it is literally no penalty to only a choice by the offended coach of the result of the play or a do over if the unreported sub makes a play on defense.

The only time a coach really needs to report position changes on defense is when it involves the pitcher and catcher, and then only because of the courtesy runner rules.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yeah this coach is going to get laughed at pretty hard for his 'protest'.

Most rule books don't even discuss player positions except for pitcher/catcher (because of specific rule and equipment requirements of these two positions) and occasionally size of 1st base glove (which I believe is still in the LL rule book for one).

I've played everyone in the infield with no outfielders and also a big right side shift amongst other weird alignments (in 8U coach pitch I used to move one girl between SS and CF depending on the type of hitter coming up). As long as the play didn't involve an actual substitution there is no requirement to report - because there is nothing to report.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Dear friends,

I would love some help with the dilemma that we are having. It's the opening of the 3rd inning fast pitch softball. Home is winning 14-0. While having a player at bat from the visitor team the coach of the home team makes a switch between his 1st base going to second base and his second base going to first. So no new player entered or left the game, just a switch between 2 players that already are on the rooster and in the field playing. The coach did not officially inform the umpire. After the switch a pitch is being delivered. And it is after this pitch that the coach of the visitor team tell the umpire that he will continue the game under protest because a switch between players took place without the coach of the home team officially informing the umpire.

So who can help me out with this decision can be? The game ended in the 3rd inning 15-0. Please inform!

Situations like this are why I could never be a league commissioner....when the coach called to protest the game and explain why, I would have to say "are you &$&@#*% kidding me?"

Jun 22, 2008
Maybe the coach should spend a little more time coaching his team than trying to invent a win by protesting something that doesnt exist.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Two defensive players could stand at the same position, if you wanted them to. I dislike a person that tries to win on some "gotcha" moment. It would be funny to play this guy, again and move the fielders frequently.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Two defensive players could stand at the same position, if you wanted them to. I dislike a person that tries to win on some "gotcha" moment. It would be funny to play this guy, again and move the fielders frequently.

I just had a vision of Amy putting out a "King and his court" fielding team.

Aug 5, 2012
I'd love to be the league commish. "First, I'll need your $25 protest fee. Thank you. Now...there's the door. Hit it."

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Please tell me you aren't the visiting coach, assistant or some parent from that team who thought that protesting was an awesome idea and was hoping to find a bunch of people on here to say good job on trying to steal a win the visiting team doesnt deserve one bit? The right team won and they deserve the win.

Sorry, visiting team got whooped...stupid protest. Take the loss and move on with respect.

Some of the problem with people nowadays...some people just can't take losing and admit they lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes