Swinging and missing on purpose. Thoughts??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
I've used it on occasion. I call it a Cover Swing. It does two things. It keeps the catcher from being really aggressive and stepping forward fully. It also keeps the SS holding her position slightly longer if it looks like a ball may be put in play. If I think it will be really close on a steal I will use it to try and get my runner a fraction of a second on what may be a bang, bang play. It can't be used all the time. Otherwise it loses it's effectivness.

Oct 13, 2017
Also i do throw down the bunt take steal with a runner on 1 early in a game to see what coversge your girls fall into. If nobody picks up 3, we are off to the races.

Jun 11, 2013
I can't imagine having a 10U player strikeout on purpose just for a D3K. Even worse would be practicing it.

One thing I find funny in softball is that you almost never see Hit and Runs. Especially if you have a good slapper up and SS is going to cover on steals. When I played BB I was a lefty with good bat control and it was just so easy to hit a ground ball where the SS was. I guess it's just easier to hit HR's today.

Mar 28, 2014
I don't know if I've ever seen a late swing & a miss on purpose. I have never been a fan of the fake bunt/steal, and it's overly used around here for no real reason. Why take a strike & start the batter out in the hole?
Ummmm, it's quite common at all levels, MLB included, to take a pitch when you have a steal on. Don't want your runner to get doubled up if you hit a line drive.

Feb 26, 2018
I can't imagine having a 10U player strikeout on purpose just for a D3K. Even worse would be practicing it.

One thing I find funny in softball is that you almost never see Hit and Runs. Especially if you have a good slapper up and SS is going to cover on steals. When I played BB I was a lefty with good bat control and it was just so easy to hit a ground ball where the SS was. I guess it's just easier to hit HR's today.
Hit and Run is on our wristbands, and our HC drills into the girls that they have to swing no matter what.

Dec 15, 2012
Fairly common tactic that is used to help get a stolen base. I’m not sure how effective the tactic is, but DD has been called upon to swing and miss on purpose to help move the runner. Probably effective with less experienced teams and players.
We have also used a swing and miss with a runner at third with <2 outs. Next swing is a suicide squeeze to score a run. This is actually quite effective as it gets the corners playing back. Softball is a great game of cat and mouse.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Over coaching. Poor strategy. If your players are so good that they can waste strikes then just have them move the runner with a base hit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA