Swing Plane Issues I think ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We already had a lot of pages addressing the same issues. Most likely due to my DDs less than ready approach ... if you could please address any issues you see in the game swings . I would appreciate it tremendously. Could you speak more of this stretch from the lowering of the cog from hands to hip. Thank you.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
In a lot of ways, this is a great post if your goal is to have your dd get ready for college. Trying to match the pattern of a MLB player is a great goal and I used Albert Pujols for my dd. Did she match it? Nope. IMO, she got close but I never allowed myself to have the rose colored glasses. Instead, I understood her limitations and made sure that she knew them as well so that she could work to correct them.

I have included a couple of pictures that are representative of her keeping her hands back, or getting to a spot in the sequence where she pulled the bow back. I apologize for being insecure but she turned out pretty good.

Cannon , first thank you. Second saying your DD was/is pretty good is not bragging. Can you speak about how you got your dd to those nice positions please.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Cannon I think me not following a certain pro actually hurt DDs progress. I just tell her a couple of absolutes. And she can create her own style. I'm not a fan of ' your stance has to be bent here ' ' handset here.' Why? Because pro stand , move different ways. If I woulda followed a certain pro then I would have had a certain look so she could work too look like. I guess we woulda had a 'Goal'. I don't know. When DDs is done. I will know if I did all the right things.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ultimately, this is what it is all about for many of us. You have four months at this point. The best advice I can possibly give you is no more overhauls. As a high school senior, she should have a pretty good understanding of her swing. What does she like better? Where she is now? Or where she was with Tewks? Use what she is most comfortable with and just fine tune that. Then work as much as possible on the mental aspects of hitting.

But, and this is a big but... If the school she is going to has strong thoughts about hitting, do what you can to prepare her for those thoughts. They may or may not match with the thoughts here. From personal experience, I work with several girls that currently play in college. Some of the schools let the players work on their own outside of their season and don't really mess with them too much. One school in particular wanted to overhaul one of my players. Even though I don't agree with their thoughts on the swing, we both realized that they were looking for what they were looking for. So I did what I could to prepare her for that.

Best of luck to your DD!

When DD went up to visit and watch a game she noticed no barrel turn. A no stride approach. She started fooling around with a no stride so it doesn't feel to foreign when she gets to school.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Josh_Donaldson_X.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The videos were air dropped to me. They are pretty clear on my phone. Can someone walk me through making a gif and posting it. Probably come out clearer.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When DD went up to visit and watch a game she noticed no barrel turn. A no stride approach. She started fooling around with a no stride so it doesn't feel to foreign when she gets to school.

Your daughter's ability to adapt to her future coach's instruction will be very important. One of my players struggled for a while when she got to school. Her college coach always talked about "getting her weight forward". She asked a lot of questions during the fall in order to figure out exactly what she was looking for. Then when she came home for Christmas break, we worked on that. I did my best to maintain as much of her old mechanics as possible while providing the "look" that this coach was after.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Sure there is.

Stats are a large function of the competition one faces.

I'm more likely to believe in one's stats if their swing more closely matches MLB characteristics.

My point is that production is the ultimate determination of success, not how good their swing looks. A HR hit with a less-than-perfect swing is still a HR.

That said, will good mechanics give a hitter a better chance at being successful more often? Definitely. That's why we all work as hard as we do at helping our hitters improve in that area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck