Swing Plane Issues I think ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hard to say FP. I changed her swing about 2 months ago. Haven't seen enough pitching since . She used to love that pitch though. She actually used to hunt that pitch . I was using Tewksbury stuff then.

https://youtu.be/i9yIaGvRRDE
Up and in . Last winter.

Tough to tell much in that clip, but she did hit the ball pretty well. I'm curious why you moved away from Tewk's stuff? Something there you didn't like? Personally I like a lot of what Tewk's says and what Donny says. In many ways, their views are very similar with different terminology.

Jun 8, 2016
As someone else said, if she can actually hit a fastpitch softball 250 feet, e.g. 50 feet past the LF fence at Marita Hynes where I was watching a game last weekend, then leave her alone. She doesn't need any help.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Basically guys I have 4 months til DD goes to college. I would like to give her the best chance at earning an everyday spot in her college line up. That's all this has ever been about. There are a ton of knowledgeable people on here. I have respect for how hard hitting is. That's why I lurk here and other sites. If I come off snotty. Please take it as playful. After all this isn't religion or personal. It's just a game. Got GIFs RD?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Basically guys I have 4 months til DD goes to college. I would like to give her the best chance at earning an everyday spot in her college line up. That's all this has ever been about. There are a ton of knowledgeable people on here. I have respect for how hard hitting is. That's why I lurk here and other sites. If I come off snotty. Please take it as playful. After all this isn't religion or personal. It's just a game. Got GIFs RD?

Ultimately, this is what it is all about for many of us. You have four months at this point. The best advice I can possibly give you is no more overhauls. As a high school senior, she should have a pretty good understanding of her swing. What does she like better? Where she is now? Or where she was with Tewks? Use what she is most comfortable with and just fine tune that. Then work as much as possible on the mental aspects of hitting.

But, and this is a big but... If the school she is going to has strong thoughts about hitting, do what you can to prepare her for those thoughts. They may or may not match with the thoughts here. From personal experience, I work with several girls that currently play in college. Some of the schools let the players work on their own outside of their season and don't really mess with them too much. One school in particular wanted to overhaul one of my players. Even though I don't agree with their thoughts on the swing, we both realized that they were looking for what they were looking for. So I did what I could to prepare her for that.

Best of luck to your DD!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Tough to tell much in that clip, but she did hit the ball pretty well. I'm curious why you moved away from Tewk's stuff? Something there you didn't like? Personally I like a lot of what Tewk's says and what Donny says. In many ways, their views are very similar with different terminology.

It's not that I didn't like it. DD had her best offensive season with Tewks stuff. But there wasn't much info on the lower half. So I improvised. Used some of BM stuff. Helped me on the golf course as well. Used to be a 4-5. Then kids started playing ball.Couldnt play much golf . Fell to a 12. If you've been a 4-5. 12 makes you gag. Went back to a 7-8 which is resepctable to me.

I think when he introduced swing craft it felt really pre-packed. Movements that I've never seen pros practice . Kinda the same thing that shyed me away from HI.
Call me old school.I just don't see pros practice those movements. They don't talk about that stuff. They talk hands etc etc. you know. I felt like I was being sold something. Not getting taught something. If that makes sense.
The DLL stuff makes sense TO ME. It's simple. To me the old pros . The new pros. They seem pretty simple too. It also jives with what you here pro players say. That was a big deal to me. After all they are the best.

That ball earlier was prolly 230. I was going for the effect . Call me Kim Kardashian. Just don't call me Br...nvm.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My last time on here I asked for suggestions . Some nice people told me to get DD to shift and swing . Told me she was bleeding her coil. So I dug deeper and tried to understand wth all this meant . Stumbled onto some simple info. That made sense and matched what the pros patterns were. Tried it out. DDs adjustability got better. Her power stayed the same.
Her pitch selection got worse because she thinks she can hit everything now. And with that being said her wanting to crush the ball causes her to over swing at times . But I expected that.she will calm down hopefully . And this after the fact that DD was all league ,county and state. If it doesn't work out I can go back to Tewksbury I guess. Have you ever checked out tewks stuff?

In a lot of ways, this is a great post if your goal is to have your dd get ready for college. Trying to match the pattern of a MLB player is a great goal and I used Albert Pujols for my dd. Did she match it? Nope. IMO, she got close but I never allowed myself to have the rose colored glasses. Instead, I understood her limitations and made sure that she knew them as well so that she could work to correct them.

I have included a couple of pictures that are representative of her keeping her hands back, or getting to a spot in the sequence where she pulled the bow back. I apologize for being insecure but she turned out pretty good.

Attachments

• On deck routine.jpg
    On deck routine.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_4129.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 38
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
All this stuff reminds me of the one plane two plane golf swing craze. Stack and tilt . Where are all this philos now? In the trash. And everyone is back to the classic golf swing. Just saying .

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I want the RED line stretch not the yellow line stretch.
tumblr_osoxe3nHMy1usf292o1_400.gif

Some want a stretch in the midsection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole