Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
On this I agree. Once your daughter really feels what it's like to coil around the rear leg with the rear butt cheek she will then understand what it's like to be one legged. And then she will also learn the timing window you get from being one legged if you maintain the coil. It doesn't matter if you stride or not.

Agree and I like your simple post. You hit from the backside, trying to hit from the front side will only result in lunging of some sort.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Agree and I like your simple post. You hit from the backside, trying to hit from the front side will only result in lunging of some sort.

Shawn, Butter, or others with an interest ... do you have a perception of an axis for the initial turning/working of the barrel, and if so, what is that axis?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
5frames,

To me the initial axis for turning the barrel is the hands. The back hip is also an axis, that sets up the hand axis. I think the axis shifts, like you I think the lead arm is important and it isn't very well used in the young girl.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
5frames,

To me the initial axis for turning the barrel is the hands. The back hip is also an axis, that sets up the hand axis. I think the axis shifts, like you I think the lead arm is important and it isn't very well used in the young girl.

The back hip as an initial axis makes sense.

Here is a plot that I obtained from Alan Nathan (I believe that is the source). The red dots represent the path of the tip of the barrel. The magenta colored dots represent the "axis of rotation".

axisofrotation.gif

Just curious if anyone uses a particular body segment for the initial axis of rotation? On occasion I'll use a line between the rear hip and rear shoulder.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just curious if anyone uses a particular body segment for the initial axis of rotation? On occasion I'll use a line between the rear hip and rear shoulder.

My thoughts as well. In the Correa swing in the other thread, he must first get his hands to that 'initial axis of rotation' before turning the barrel. That, in my opinion, is why some other hitters seem to have a tighter HPP.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My thoughts as well. In the Correa swing in the other thread, he must first get his hands to that 'initial axis of rotation' before turning the barrel. That, in my opinion, is why some other hitters seem to have a tighter HPP.

I agree. When I see a wide radius, or a swing that is 'out front' ... a swing that some here refer to as 'two legged' ... I often ask myself where that hitter's 'initial axis of rotation' was centered at ... with the thought being that it was either non-existent or in front of the rear-edge/scip/rear-hip-to-rear-shoulder.

May 12, 2016
My DD seems to have a developed a little bit of bat drag. Back elbow is leading the hands a little. Her lead arm is barring, I asked her to leave the lead arm a little bent and to rotate the triangle. I'm hoping this well help the hands catch up instead of dragging behind. I am wondering if concentrating on the scap load a little more as well will help keep the back elbow back. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01