Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
So why make the thread convoluted with multiple comparisons between my daughters and Chamberlains swing when all I am referring to is the forward motion of the upper body? I specifically said I am not comparing my daughters swing to Chamberlain's....

"""""
Quote Originally Posted by julray View Post
Thanks to everybody for replying.. can't say that I am not a little confused , lol. Let's start here though. What do you mean by the swing is lost here? Don't you want the upper body to advance with the hands trailing behind to create bat lag?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG1IImV0inA
I am not comparing my daughter to Lauren Chamberlain..lol. However her upper body advances forward as well with her no step approach. I do know however that my daughters upper body is getting over her front side too much, I mentioned this earlier on in the thread. These are things I know we need to correct.
"""""

Regardless of whether Lauren is the hitting model or not I would look at the above gifs and try and see the differences. While I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as FFS, it looks to me that Lauren has a negative move which loads her rear leg by turning her right butt cheek towards the 3rd base dugout. She then uncoils and resists her upper half against the lower body uncoil resulting in her hips leading her hands in the swing and a swing which is around her rear hip/leg as opposed to around her front leg like your DD. I would work on getting that negative move down and getting some stretch going (resistance against lower half). My two cents.

May 12, 2016
Because YOU posted Chamberlain swing and made this comment....

Silly me because you started the 'convoluted' rabbit hole that I went down. Like I said wait for FFS to answer your question.

I posted Chamberlains video to illustrate the forward motion of her upper body (which I made very clear) with her hands lagging behind, not to compare every aspect or her swing or receive silly sarcastic responses about modeling my DD's swing after Chamberlain. My daughter has worked very hard and I have spent tons of time trying to help her. Now it might be obvious to everybody on this board that I don't have a clue and I might be missing something obvious... but that's why I came here to discuss a certain aspect of her swing that I am trying to correct. I appreciate those who have taken the time to post constructive comments relative to this thread. I am asking 5 frames to elaborate on his response because it seems like a good starting point considering it's about 3 frames into the video. WTH is your issue m8? Why jump all over my response to 5 frames to point out every flaw.... and then say I'll let 5 Frames respond to my question. Like I said you've made this thread very convoluted and now you are just being arrogant.

May 12, 2016
Regardless of whether Lauren is the hitting model or not I would look at the above gifs and try and see the differences. While I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as FFS, it looks to me that Lauren has a negative move which loads her rear leg by turning her right butt cheek towards the 3rd base dugout. She then uncoils and resists her upper half against the lower body uncoil resulting in her hips leading her hands in the swing and a swing which is around her rear hip/leg as opposed to around her front leg like your DD. I would work on getting that negative move down and getting some stretch going (resistance against lower half). My two cents.

Thanks, I appreciate your response. At what point do we release the back foot, I don't want her squishing the bug if you know what I mean. I've had some hitting instructors compliment her on her lower body mechanics and the way she unloads her back foot instead of spinning on it. That's why I've been focusing on upper body in this thread. We've worked a lot on that, so I want to make sure I understand completely, thanks again.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks, I appreciate your response. At what point do we release the back foot, I don't want her squishing the bug if you know what I mean. I've had some hitting instructors compliment her on her lower body mechanics and the way she unloads her back foot instead of spinning on it. That's why I've been focusing on upper body in this thread. We've worked a lot on that, so I want to make sure I understand completely, thanks again.

If you do the other facets correctly you shouldn't have to worry about the back foot IMO.

May 12, 2016
If you do the other facets correctly you shouldn't have to worry about the back foot IMO.

Makes sense I guess, the force of a well executed swing should release the back foot. What's your opinion on the upper body shifting forward prior to heel plant? Like I said, I understand she's too far forward, over her front hip. I see a lot instructors and videos online complimenting the great power hitters of today (baseball and softball) on how much their upper body shifts forward.

Jun 8, 2016
Makes sense I guess, the force of a well executed swing should release the back foot. What's your opinion on the upper body shifting forward prior to heel plant? Like I said, I understand she's too far forward, over her front hip. I see a lot instructors and videos online complimenting the great power hitters of today (baseball and softball) on how much their upper body shifts forward.

The problem isn't necessarily the shift but instead that she doesn't seem to be creating any separation with it. Look at the distance between Lauren's hands and her rear hip as she starts to turn/uncoil her hips. Your daughter has some of the negative move I mentioned but it could be better IMO but the main problem to me is that she creates almost no stretch/separation and any she does create she is not trying to
hold" (resist) as she uncoils. Take a look at this video. You don't necessarily have to do the drill but just understand what he is trying explain through the drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS5CzgXRwf4

Also for another no stride swing to compare take a look at Cabrera here:

https://noontimebaseball.com/page/115/

Notice his hip coil (butt cheek towards 1st base dugout) /uncoil and how he has a resisting upper body to the uncoiling of his hips.

Again just 2 cents from a Dad trying to improve his 7 yo DD's swing.....I'll be happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable than I

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
tumblr_nomkokcA7Q1usf292o1_400.gif

tumblr_nox8rk5TLe1usf292o1_540.gif

dfp1_zpsshs2dofz.gif

julray -- To simplify this, I would suggest watching the second gif isolating the movements of Chamberlain's hips. Then look at the movement of your DD's hips. Much different... Her body above the hips moves much farther than the hips themselves. pattar is offering some good thoughts for you. In my opinion, separation has more to do with the resistance created within the system, than the location of the hands in respect to other body parts. Without having the 'underhood' mechanics working properly, separation will not truly occur. FWIW, I think rdbass is trying to help you.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Her head moves a little to far back I think during the negative move. She then tries to shift and rotate/swing at the same time.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
test 1

posture1.jpgposture1b.jpg

Now I know the back leg angles are a little different, but both are taken at the negative move (farthest back). Donaldson has an "attack" posture, head more over the front hip/center. Your daughter does not have the same attack posture, she shifts her head back and then shifts it forward as she starts to swing/rotate.

You should shift into rotation and not shift and rotate/swing at the same time. Sit and turn.

Just wanted to add that the head shouldn't be behind the line, your daughter, compared to Donaldson who is aligned

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
julray -- To simplify this, I would suggest watching the second gif isolating the movements of Chamberlain's hips. Then look at the movement of your DD's hips. Much different... Her body above the hips moves much farther than the hips themselves. pattar is offering some good thoughts for you. In my opinion, separation has more to do with the resistance created within the system, than the location of the hands in respect to other body parts. Without having the 'underhood' mechanics working properly, separation will not truly occur. FWIW, I think rdbass is trying to help you.

Thanks for your comments... I understand my daughter is getting too far over her front hip, I mentioned this before. I was asking 5 Frames about something he specifically mentioned and asking for clarification on that. Needless to say, what you said makes things click for me a little better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA