Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Flattens like this guy demonstrates at 59 secs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkx7_-PUKz4

I believe this is something that can teach my daughter with more success... palm up palm down right away before the hands progress forward. I think that cue work work better than "turn the barrel", "oar lock", "swivel" etc.

This is not a good demonstration IMO, and for multiple reasons.

The 'pull' that he is speaking of not being present is a pull associated with folding the lead-arm and/or shoving the lead-arm forward. He is correct, that type of pull is not present.

There is a pull however that occurs during the lateral tilting portion of the swing ... and it is fairly intense ... intense enough to create blisters and calluses for those that swing a bat.

May 12, 2016
Flat in relation to the angle of the hitter's torso. In the video bobby is standing up straight and Yes He flattens in relation to His torso which is also flat to the ground because He is not tilted in His demo.
BUT, Barry's lead arm/hand gets flats in relation to his torso angle which is tilted forward at his pelvis so His hands don't get flat in relation to the ground....

Bonds_Rear_View.gif

That makes sense. Thanks.

I am thoroughly confused with the Scap concept you are mentioning above however

May 12, 2016
This is not a good demonstration IMO, and for multiple reasons.

The 'pull' that he is speaking of not being present is a pull associated with folding the lead-arm and/or shoving the lead-arm forward. He is correct, that type of pull is not present.

There is a pull however that occurs during the lateral tilting portion of the swing ... and it is fairly intense ... intense enough to create blisters and calluses for those that swing a bat.

Do you believe that palm up palm down early would lead to poor technique for turning the barrel?

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
That makes sense. Thanks.

I am thoroughly confused with the Scap concept you are mentioning above however

Ted Williams Torque.jpg

Maybe Ted can explain it better...Can you see the torque in his torso?

It can seem complicated but the truth is, once you use your body(proximally), the rest of the bodies movements becomes supported better.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Do you believe that palm up palm down early would lead to poor technique for turning the barrel?

I personally believe that the notion of the bottom-hand going palm down early makes sense .... that would be 'down' relative to the bottom-hand flattening to the perceived swing plane needed to put the barrel on the ball. I am not an advocate of bottom-hand being palm down at/through impact however. The flattening should be 'early' ... and it is largely responsible for the barrels early movement.

As for the top-hand going palm-up early .... no thank you ... that causes more harm than good IMO.

May 12, 2016
I personally believe that the notion of the bottom-hand going palm down early makes sense .... that would be 'down' relative to the bottom-hand flattening to the perceived swing plane needed to put the barrel on the ball. I am not an advocate of bottom-hand being palm down at/through impact however. The flattening should be 'early' ... and it is largely responsible for the barrels early movement.

As for the top-hand going palm-up early .... no thank you ... that causes more harm than good IMO.

If the bottom hand goes palm up early, how does the top hand not go palm down. How can you have bottom hand palm down and not have top hand palm up?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If the bottom hand goes palm up early, how does the top hand not go palm down. How can you have bottom hand palm down and not have top hand palm up?

Julray, do you have any game swing examples of the bottom-hand/top-hand being palm-down/palm-up ... as in the palms physically being parallel to one another? Please post them. I especially wish to see this occurring 'early'.

May 3, 2014
Julray,

It is important to understand that your effort to turn the knob straight up does not create the visual you are looking for. The top hand forearm should be supinating at the same exact time just as the rear leg is turning the pelvis forward. This combination of action gets the barrel to blur behind you and create the swing path you see in Manny, Miggy, Bonds, Judge etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06