Swing Mechanics Help (Please)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
C
View attachment 14707

Here is her stride to toe touch.

When any hitter opens their hips, they begin to swing forward. IOW, the elbow goes down and the shoulders drop.

You should NOT open your hips during the stride. This is causing all the problems.

Notice at toe touch, her elbow drop (good is up/flat), her rear forearm is vertical (good is flat/level), and her shoulders are upside down (good is level or opposite).

Here is what she should look like at toe touch.
View attachment 14708

How to fix:
Get in front of a mirror and take your stride, and hold a 45 degree inward coil (hip and shoulder) until landing. Do this for a few days until you get the hang of it.

You don't need to try to 'sit' or 'set' or 'crimp' your hip, or pick your front hip up in the air, or have a certain leg kick, just rotate your torso - it's simple.

Tip: Keep the back heel on the ground as you stride using the back leg. Try not to turn your front knee over until toe touch. Make sure you are not just coiling inward over your back foot - coil in as you're going forward.

posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Then add in, pull the back elbow back like a 'bow'. Then add in, make sure the rear foearm is flat. To make sure the hands are not too far away, an easy check is to make sure an extended rear thumb can touch the shoulder or armpit.

If you learn this, you can teach her. She can do this drill for a lifetime to make sure she's doing it right.

Can you explain the front knee a little more. I have my thoughts and most people say the front knee is a no teach. I don't think it is a teach but can help identify problems.

Apr 11, 2019
View attachment 14707

Here is her stride to toe touch.

When any hitter opens their hips, they begin to swing forward. IOW, the elbow goes down and the shoulders drop.

You should NOT open your hips during the stride. This is causing all the problems.

Notice at toe touch, her elbow drop (good is up/flat), her rear forearm is vertical (good is flat/level), and her shoulders are upside down (good is level or opposite).

Here is what she should look like at toe touch.
View attachment 14708

How to fix:
Get in front of a mirror and take your stride, and hold a 45 degree inward coil (hip and shoulder) until landing. Do this for a few days until you get the hang of it.

You don't need to try to 'sit' or 'set' or 'crimp' your hip, or pick your front hip up in the air, or have a certain leg kick, just rotate your torso - it's simple.

Tip: Keep the back heel on the ground as you stride using the back leg. Try not to turn your front knee over until toe touch. Make sure you are not just coiling inward over your back foot - coil in as you're going forward.

posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Then add in, pull the back elbow back like a 'bow'. Then add in, make sure the rear foearm is flat. To make sure the hands are not too far away, an easy check is to make sure an extended rear thumb can touch the shoulder or armpit.

If you learn this, you can teach her. She can do this drill for a lifetime to make sure she's doing it right.

What do you mean by holding a 45 degree inward coil (hips and shoulder)? Thank you.

Aug 20, 2017
JWW, my DD has same exact problems. We are working on the back elbow staying up at foot down and keeping front shoulder down during the stride. All the problems your DD has are stride related (where most swings break down). I’ll add that she needs to attach to the ground at foot down (anchor to the ground). This will help her swing sequence. She can’t maintain her balance into the finish of the swing which tells me she is generating power with the arms and shoulders. Good luck!

Sep 29, 2014
What do you mean by holding a 45 degree inward coil (hips and shoulder)? Thank you.
Look closely at all the pictures @efastball posted now imagine somebody standing square straight across from you, you would see both of their hips look at all those picture you are hard pressed to point at a back side hip (because they are not square). Now try this little illustration stand square like you are in a batters box with your hands on your hips now as you stride forward (or in this case little step) if you are sliding your front elbow is at the pitcher and back elbow at the catcher if you coil when your foot lands with your hands still on your hips your back elbow will be pointing back at about a 45 degree angle (doesn't have to be exact). Also bellybutton will be back at about a 45 and also slightly pointing at the ground (if you are just twisting you won't get that slight downward tilt).

This sequence is KEY there should be NO forward movement (the stride/step doesn't count) until the heel drops that means no elbow slotting, no hands dropping, no push off the back side NOTHING going forward...now this is just a split second we are talking about but it is important and every elite swing waits to go forward.

Apr 11, 2019
JWW, my DD has same exact problems. We are working on the back elbow staying up at foot down and keeping front shoulder down during the stride. All the problems your DD has are stride related (where most swings break down). I’ll add that she needs to attach to the ground at foot down (anchor to the ground). This will help her swing sequence. She can’t maintain her balance into the finish of the swing which tells me she is generating power with the arms and shoulders. Good luck!

Thank you. I feel better helping her having a clear direction.

Apr 11, 2019
Look closely at all the pictures @efastball posted now imagine somebody standing square straight across from you, you would see both of their hips look at all those picture you are hard pressed to point at a back side hip (because they are not square). Now try this little illustration stand square like you are in a batters box with your hands on your hips now as you stride forward (or in this case little step) if you are sliding your front elbow is at the pitcher and back elbow at the catcher if you coil when your foot lands with your hands still on your hips your back elbow will be pointing back at about a 45 degree angle (doesn't have to be exact). Also bellybutton will be back at about a 45 and also slightly pointing at the ground (if you are just twisting you won't get that slight downward tilt).

This sequence is KEY there should be NO forward movement (the stride/step doesn't count) until the heel drops that means no elbow slotting, no hands dropping, no push off the back side NOTHING going forward...now this is just a split second we are talking about but it is important and every elite swing waits to go forward.

Got it! Makes sense for sure......

Oct 2, 2017
I agree with most of what has already been said. I would only add that sequence is the most important things to learn. Most young players DO NOT know sequence. You can know that you need to pull back like a bow, you can know that you should be Coiling your hips, etc. But if not in the proper sequence none of that will make a difference. Right now Your DD understands a swing to be a single action all done together. The pull back, and coil in the back hip should be happening as you are striding out. That to me is one of the most important and biggest issue young players have. We are essentially trying to get the pull back to coincide or stop in time with the stride foot getting to the ground.

Apr 11, 2019
I agree with most of what has already been said. I would only add that sequence is the most important things to learn. Most young players DO NOT know sequence. You can know that you need to pull back like a bow, you can know that you should be Coiling your hips, etc. But if not in the proper sequence none of that will make a difference. Right now Your DD understands a swing to be a single action all done together. The pull back, and coil in the back hip should be happening as you are striding out. That to me is one of the most important and biggest issue young players have. We are essentially trying to get the pull back to coincide or stop in time with the stride foot getting to the ground.

Thanks, its starting to make sense to me. I've gotten alot of great feedback and starting points. Just being able to give her guidance and direction with a goal to work towards will help settle some of her frustration.

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks, its starting to make sense to me. I've gotten alot of great feedback and starting points. Just being able to give her guidance and direction with a goal to work towards will help settle some of her frustration.

There is a lot of great info available on this forum, for helping you child become a better hitter. Its helped tremendously with my 9yr old. That being said, I would try and perform any advice someone gives you yourself. As well as watch the pros if that's what they are doing. That way you can relay that information better to your DD.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Another way to describe it is "turn your back pocket to the pitcher". Turn your hips so your right butt-cheek can be seen by the pitcher during the forward move. The shoulders get turned with the hips. Don't let the right knee get turned outside the rear foot. The feeling should be a twisting tension (coil) around the upper leg and hip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1