Swing Feedback... 10u player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2015
here is some video off a tee.. Still work to do!!

[video]http://www.wissearch.net/videos/img_2641.mov[/video]

[video]http://www.wissearch.net/videos/img_2645.mov[/video]

IMG_2647.jpg

I posted in the wrong forum, it looks like this is the forum for feedback.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Somewhat common issue of "flatten then fling" ... aka 'bat drag'.

Example .....
348p.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In addition to the DBSF pattern, I'm seeing a lack of weight shift against the front side, and a lack of stretch/separation.

We want to get to this kind of a movement pattern...
Miggy_060315.gif

Posey_060813_side.gif

Pay attention to the direction of movement of the hands, and when the move in relation to the stride. Also pay attention to how the swing shifts the weight against the front side.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How do you fix it? I've seen this in her swing... but I'm not sure the drills to use to fix it.

You replace the "flattening" portion with an "around"/"short-to"/"turn-the-barrel"/"work-the-barrel"/"turn-the-knob-to-the-plate".

A barrel that is being 'worked' appropriately will 'flatten' the barrel appropriately.

Your daughter's 'fling' will then serve as a nice "long-through"/"along".

During the "Around" the barrel is rotated 'around' the rear forearm, whereas during the "Along" the barrel is flailed/cast/sent/thrown 'along' the rear forearm.

Around:
4t5xk5.gif

Along:
33bgthj.gif

Around:
rclb9g.gif

r2tgdy.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Review the clip below. Notice that at the pause that the palm of the top hand (right hand) is orientated towards the sky. Give your daughter the goal of having the palm of the top hand orientated such that it points back more towards the pitcher than towards the sky.

2ue6tmg.gif

The palm of the top hand may end up orientated towards left-field ... that's a good thing.

2d1ka4l.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Review the clip below. Notice that at the pause that the palm of the top hand (right hand) is orientated towards the sky. Give your daughter the goal of having the palm of the top hand orientated such that it points back more towards the pitcher than towards the sky.

2ue6tmg.gif

The palm of the top hand may end up orientated towards left-field ... that's a good thing.

2d1ka4l.gif

This may be one of the most useful things you posted on this subject, FFS. Good input.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This may be one of the most useful things you posted on this subject, FFS. Good input.

It's an approach that Doc Yeager advocates. I have used it successfully with multiple hitters. A hitter can practice swinging to the above 'short-to' position without even making a full swing. That can serve as their homework between hitting sessions. I don't consider it a lot to expect that homework to be done nightly ... even if it is just 20 dry-swings. I ask that 11 be done correctly in a row. The homework can be done while watching TV ... so there is little excuse for not getting it done.

Not to be mean ... this is pretty simple homework. If a hitter can't be bothered with something this easy, then I question how bad they want to become proficient. The ownership of getting better rests on the student.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck