Swing Feedback... 10u player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2015
Good progress. Please share what you worked on that you feel led to this improvement.

We did a few drills during the week, and when her tournaments come around I speak NOTHING of this. I just tell her to see the ball and hit it. Mechanics are for practice. Practice them enough and they come with you to the game.

1) We did very slow motion swings, where the ball when she hit it barely made it to the bownet. The goal was to do it the RIGHT way

2) I had her work on 100 "pumps" a day. Basically, get ready to hit, load, and just start down with "knob to the ball" . She can do these in 5-10 minutes

3) We worked on her back elbow being up a little more. NOT UP like some parents think in Rec level ball, but not pointed straight down either.

4) In order to get the feel to not drop the bat down then swing, I had her work on hitting the very top of the ball. Obviously don't do this too much. It's not what you want to do. However, the feel was for her to go from her load position right to the ball not in an L.

5) We just "hit" a lot too because sometimes these drills are over exaggerations in an effort for her to get a feel for it.

These worked for her. We struggled finding something that gave her the feel. Most important thing? Just getting her to understand. She knows it may feel powerful what she was doing, but when she faces really good pitching she's late. Part of that had to do with her loading too late but part is that her swing is slower going in an L instead of a straight line.

This wasn't just me. Her hitting coach has been working hard with her too, giving me suggestions on what to work on, etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd