Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Shawn, you are releasing the barrel too early. Look at the Pujols clip when his hands pass his rear hip compared to you. Keep your scap pinched but keep the barrel loaded longer.
Without some forward movement of belly button resistance/stretch isn’t maxed which will cause the scap to unload early jumping the sequence

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thanks for posting Shawn. Like others have said, you are not maintaining posture(standing taller throughout your swing). Maintain posture and let the shoulders work around the spine instead of "forcing" the front shoulder up. Again my DD had the exact issue.. Your front shoulder will work up, and back shoulder down naturally.. how much(angle) will depend on pitch height/location.
I believe he is trying to swing around his rear hip socket.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Thanks for posting Shawn. Like others have said, you are not maintaining posture(standing taller throughout your swing). Maintain posture and let the shoulders work around the spine instead of "forcing" the front shoulder up. Again my DD had the exact issue.. Your front shoulder will work up, and back shoulder down naturally.. how much(angle) will depend on pitch height/location.

Just so you know I listen to you, I will try to
make the adjustment today. I will see how much this cleans up the swing. I think I get a false sense of rotation, when I’m actually just standing up.

May 12, 2016
Just so you know I listen to you, I will try to
make the adjustment today. I will see how much this cleans up the swing. I think I get a false sense of rotation, when I’m actually just standing up.
I know you do, I was kidding previously, :). I don't think you need change your posture too much, just maintain it. IDK, could have to something to do with other things upstream in your swing.. seems like you are trying to force it and it's making you come out of your swing

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
It’s hard to break the habit of getting on the front leg and standing up. I tried to stay down for a series and it felt ackward. It’s something that I will have to focus on long term, where I only focus on this one change.

Tried doing sessions of different swing thoughts. The only one that I think was productive was adding a barrel tip. This helped with swinging down, back elbow lowering before the top hand started to turn.

Besides that I have a lot of pathways that need to be created and changed.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think the hip/leg work looks pretty good. I think You(and me) will only see so much improvement here without some physical/fitness work. My hips are pretty sorry.

I know you're seeking a deeper pivot. I think if you slot that rear elbow hard and get the hands going down and forward fast youll see that.

Your right elbow is hidden for a long time there.

Yes, I’ve corrected the early hand release before with swinging down, lowering the back elbow. That’s when I learned swinging down was good.

Tried it today with a barrel tip with some success, worthy of more practice.

I agree, I don’t think I will see real changes until I get in better shape. My neuromuscular system is currently retarded and needs to relearn movement patterns.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There's no reason to post today's swing, they sucked.

So instead I'm posting a blast from the past. This was around 25 years ago. TTB happens natural, might be some early top hand letting go of the hinge angle. The front foot lands pointing toward the pitcher, same as today.

I was in shape back then, went to the gym religiously.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

What do you think about the younger me swing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00