Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
In my opinion the early extension is a result of the bat being behind a little bit.

It's not as easy as just saying "remember to keep your posture" IMO. I think speeding the lagging part up(hands) would accomplish more in a player who extends early.

EE happens as a reaction to the handle/hands being behind a little bit. The brain realizes the bat/hands are outta sequence and fires the big guns to try and catch it up to salvage as much speed as possible.

If the bat is there(out in front a little more) to pull on, he doesn't stand up like that. He pulls against it instead of popping up.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I don’t think I was working on anything in that swing. The swing was early days of Hudgens, Setpro and Mankin. Although, I don’t think I ever tried to change anything in my swing back then.

Apr 11, 2015
So instead I'm posting a blast from the past.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
Wow...an early "SwingAway"!! I had one of those also back in the day. So did you ever miss, and have the barrel get all tangled up in the bungee cord? Yeah, me neither. 😜🙃

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
That's a pretty good rip. Looks like a guy just trying to obliterate the ball!

Do you remember if you were workin on anything there? Or just takin some cuts.

Maybe I should try to resurrect that swing, so if there are any pathways still there to create that swing.😛

That swing is as close to my natural swing I can actually watch/review. There is another that might even predate this swing, it’s a pitchers view.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
It’s hard to break the habit of getting on the front leg and standing up. I tried to stay down for a series and it felt ackward. It’s something that I will have to focus on long term, where I only focus on this one change.

Tried doing sessions of different swing thoughts. The only one that I think was productive was adding a barrel tip. This helped with swinging down, back elbow lowering before the top hand started to turn.

Besides that I have a lot of pathways that need to be created and changed.

So there is slack in the swing and you are taking it out by rising on your frontside. You need to take it out on the backside. You have 2 choices to correct it.

1. Drive the rear knee down and the rear foot may skip a ball length or two forward.
2. Scissor.

I prefer scissor method.

1. Donaldson classic knee down skip foot

1589927029597.png

2. Trout. scissor move

May 12, 2016
So there is slack in the swing and you are taking it out by rising on your frontside. You need to take it out on the backside. You have 2 choices to correct it.

1. Drive the rear knee down and the rear foot may skip a ball length or two forward.
2. Scissor.

I prefer scissor method.

1. Donaldson classic knee down skip foot

View attachment 17802

2. Trout. scissor move

Personally if I focus on anchoring the back foot, it ends up scissoring. It’s more of a result then a forced action in my experience. Others may differ

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Personally if I focus on anchoring the back foot, it ends up scissoring. It’s more of a result then a forced action in my experience. Others may differ
Is there any stride distance requirments for this? On a recent post of my DD she wasn't anything like that but curious if she strode out farther, that it would create this action. Or if not, what creates the the scissor? just anchoring the pivot? I have felt that in my own practice, just havent told DD to do yet.

Feb 25, 2020
Is there any stride distance requirments for this? On a recent post of my DD she wasn't anything like that but curious if she strode out farther, that it would create this action. Or if not, what creates the the scissor? just anchoring the pivot? I have felt that in my own practice, just havent told DD to do yet.

I think your daughter looks pretty good there. Tee placement can be deceptive. Get a plate to put underneath it helps with video analysis.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi