Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I played with the intensity of the swing which resulted in a lower bat speed, and increased my rotational acceleration. I stayed down better, I want to continue staying down and work on posture/tilt toward the plate and more of a downward shoulder angle at the launch position.

I still think my lower half is late. Tried not to overload the swing and that didn't really improve anything. I need to get back to creating the axis at the back hip and a deep rotational point with the hands. I didn't focus on that today.

I think I need to do some core exercises and overall fitness program (stretching including) I think before I see the changes I'm looking for in my swing. I also need to get out on the field and hit some balls off the tee and see what those swings look like.

giphy.gif

Thoughts on what I should focus on?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I played with the intensity of the swing which resulted in a lower bat speed, and increased my rotational acceleration. I stayed down better, I want to continue staying down and work on posture/tilt toward the plate and more of a downward shoulder angle at the launch position.

I still think my lower half is late. Tried not to overload the swing and that didn't really improve anything. I need to get back to creating the axis at the back hip and a deep rotational point with the hands. I didn't focus on that today.

I think I need to do some core exercises and overall fitness program (stretching including) I think before I see the changes I'm looking for in my swing. I also need to get out on the field and hit some balls off the tee and see what those swings look like.

giphy.gif

This is your best swing. Think there is still a little slop/slack and could be a little more stretch. The punching bag is a little too far out front and I think you instinctively slow down the swing in order not to hurt your wrist. You definitely need to hit balls off tee and then front toss. Buy a bownet!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This is your best swing. Think there is still a little slop/slack and could be a little more stretch. The punching bag is a little too far out front and I think you instinctively slow down the swing in order not to hurt your wrist. You definitely need to hit balls off tee and then front toss. Buy a bownet!

I wanted a heavy bag for years and bought this one for $50 and free shipping from amazon. Heavy duty 70 pnd bag. Now that I have one I’m not 100% sure their all that great.

I do need a new net. My kids have one and my tee. I think I need one myself. I hear Amazon calling.

Aug 20, 2017

giphy.gif

Shawn, your not getting a full scap load. You should resist longer with the upper body. Pull your back elbow back like you are gonna punch somebody in your stance. You’ll feel the scap pinch. You should get here in your swing. Your move out is very small so you don’t have much time to scap load. Your gonna have to preset some stretch (scap load) if your load/stride stays the same. I always look for the back knee to be advancing first while still pulling back. Make sure you don’t scap load by rotating your torso back. Causes other problems. When you swing think LEGS

Feb 25, 2020
To me, it looks like the bat/hands are a little behind still. It looks like they sit in place and turn for like 1 or 2 frames. (Maybe a bit pushy as well in this one)

Will probly not be the most popular tip here, but maybe try and play around with this move. As hard as you can first thing at launch. Dont try and tilt it or anything!
EKYownY.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Finally have the lower body leading. I'm standing up on my front leg and coming out of my posture and this is attributing to the back foot dragging forward (to much hip extension). Part of it is just swinging to high and the weight will come forward more on high pitches and the back foot will drag.

This was simple a test, trying a few things for the first time. After 20 years of my lowerbody being late, I now know why. I didn't like all the others swings personally. I do like this one albeit it needs some work.

giphy.gif

shawn8pic.gif

This is the start of what I wanted to see. It needs work, but at least it's a start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild