Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
To much momentum in my load is also one of the causes of the back foot skipping forward to much. Which causes the weight to shift to much, combined with standing up and swinging to high.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Your body now has to start reprogramming. Lots of old DNA to flush out.

Yes I need to start practicing with some drills. The upper body needs a lot of work. Your right lots of trying to create the kinetic chain, instead of the kinetic chain being created. Specifically letting go of the handle of the slingshot.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn, your not getting a full scap load. You should resist longer with the upper body. Pull your back elbow back like you are gonna punch somebody in your stance. You’ll feel the scap pinch. You should get here in your swing. Your move out is very small so you don’t have much time to scap load. Your gonna have to preset some stretch (scap load) if your load/stride stays the same. I always look for the back knee to be advancing first while still pulling back. Make sure you don’t scap load by rotating your torso back. Causes other problems. When you swing think LEGS

Your right I need to work on the scap pinch.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
To much momentum in my load is also one of the causes of the back foot skipping forward to much. Which causes the weight to shift to much, combined with standing up and swinging to high.
watch Casey Smith (out front hitting) on Instagram.. he talks a lot about posture which should help you with coming out of your swing(Standing up)

Feb 25, 2020
Shawn, what was the feel/thought you were using.

And fanboi, definitely take some cuts. And video them. And post them. Haha. (At least the first 2! ) the video doesnt lie.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn, you are the man for doing this. I may take a few swings in the near future. Just a question, any reason why not hitting a ball (on tee or soft toss) vs hitting the bag?

The heavy bag is a form of backward chaining. You can try to create batspeed early, before contact. It's backward chaining because you have eliminated hitting a ball and can just work on the swing. It's like doing stop swings, although you let the bag absorb the swing. I could use it better than I'm showing. I might be powering into the bag to much.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn, what was the feel/thought you were using.

And fanboi, definitely take some cuts. And video them. And post them. Haha. (At least the first 2! ) the video doesnt lie.

I'm following Richard, TM , with the help of a couple members. Are you familiar with what he teaches? I thought I knew what he taught until my eyes were opened. I'm just scratching the surface.

Feb 25, 2020
I'm following Richard, TM , with the help of a couple members. Are you familiar with what he teaches? I thought I knew what he taught until my eyes were opened. I'm just scratching the surface.

That is what I thought!

He was who I found first when my daughter started playing last year and her coach told her to point her barrel toward the backstop in her stance. (Flat bat if thats still a thing). She is only 8 so we didnt get too far into it. Maybe Ill do a deeper dive.

Im even more interested in this thread now haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi