Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Is your contention that they are absolutely identical with no differences? The exact demo that he is performing in that clip is exactly what you want your hitters to do during a game swing?

Yes, the "down to" is the same actions.. Add in fyb and sync with the core movements and you have it.. Do the bonds drill in front of the plate and work your way out and let the body support the goal of hitting through the target.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I could have possibly said that better, but I don't believe that getting the barrel behind and in the zone earlier, is mutually exclusive with staying a bit more oppo.

In fact, I think it's a good teach to stay a bit more oppo, as it reinforces a hands inside the ball path, and helps prevent against casting that can be a concern if one only focuses on TTB, w/o some direction in mind before doing so.

IOWs, I'm more in agreement with the "launch with direction" concept, than I am with the "launch then direct" way of thinking.

not sure what to make of this. Getting the barrel ‘behind’, is the on plane portion? The contraction of the shoulders? or just a deep hpp? Or launched ‘deep’? what puts the player ‘behind’ the ball is more about the body, not the barrel imo. It gives them a chance to get into a position behind the ball. Which do you mean?

working oppo in this case means ‘no pull’. Giving up a bit of power for some adjustability. in other cases it could simply mean staying closed so one doesn’t fly open. There are toooo many meanings to it. LOL.

Jun 3, 2021
IMO people get wrapped around what the barrel is doing. Thats not what it is imo. It's this move with the hands.

View attachment 22826

View attachment 22827

That little move is down to. What he does after that in the video is his interpretation of what he feels. If you feel like you throw your hands down like that, that is the fastest way to get on plane. If Trout turns his shoulders as to hit a ball there, and add in whatever tilt or whatnot. you see his game swing. That's why he practices it.

Please tell A-Rod to have this kid turn his hat around and fix his feet. 😝

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes, the "down to" is the same actions.. Add in fyb and sync with the core movements and you have it.. Do the bonds drill in front of the plate and work your way out and let the body support the goal of hitting through the target.

Sorry... While that may be his thought process, I simply don't see his hands become that disconnected in a live swing without the barrel arcing much more.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
8O8THFi.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207