Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Drag is when the middle turns and the bat doesnt move. The bat should be synced to the cores pull.

Drag. Opening early.

pulling core. synced.

the back elbow slots more for outisde pitches to support the path of the bat Since the arms are farther away from the body.

staying inside w an oppo approach can give the look of bat drag Bc of the elbow supporting the path longer for a deeper or direct strike. As long as the bat and middle are synced up, there is no drag.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Same swinging "down to" on all 3 of these swings. Hands getting pulled on all 3 swings.

CESaRjU.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Same swinging "down to" on all 3 of these swings. Hands getting pulled on all 3 swings.

CESaRjU.gif

I am not trying to be a pain. But pulled by what? The first swing IMO is the hands moving up and back and then forward with no help from anything but the muscles that hold it together. Not sure if that’s what you mean that those muscles are ‘pulling’. IMO you can’t be ‘pulled’ unless something is leading. Maybe asked another way, what does it look like if it is not being ‘pulled’? If you are not being pulled then you must be getting pushed? What is different? Thanks in advance.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I am not trying to be a pain. But pulled by what? The first swing IMO is the hands moving up and back and then forward with no help from anything but the muscles that hold it together. Not sure if that’s what you mean that those muscles are ‘pulling’. IMO you can’t be ‘pulled’ unless something is leading. Maybe asked another way, what does it look like if it is not being ‘pulled’? If you are not being pulled then you must be getting pushed? What is different? Thanks in advance.

Yes, the first couple there's not much core pull (more hands arms) .. The live clip has created more stretch after getting leveraged fyb.

U4wNmhw.png

Yea, they are either being pulled, held, or pushed.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yes, the first couple there's not much core pull (more hands arms) .. The live clip has created more stretch after getting leveraged fyb.

Yea, they are either being pulled, held, or pushed.

What, then, would be engaged or not engaged in a push?

I am on a phone and can’t seem to go back to the image but I didn’t think anything changed from swing to swing on the upper half just the lower got wider and more leveraged thru better posture to allow more force thru that leverage to utilize more of the core.

If we talk push v held v pull. I would say the left is a push and the right is a pull by the core. The middle is a mix and a ‘held’ would be a drag which isn’t in the image. Again just my opinion.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's not rocket science. The camera is straight on. Hands (green) way behind elbow (yellow)
View attachment 22754

IMO, this is not a fair assessment of bat drag. Trying to apply a 3D concept to a 2D image can be misleading. In this frame, if the hands are closer to the camera than the rear elbow, do you still consider the elbow ahead of the hands? I don't. The comparison needs to be in reference to the line of the shoulders. In this case, using the shoulder line, the hands appear to be ahead of the rear elbow.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
What, then, would be engaged or not engaged in a push?

I am on a phone and can’t seem to go back to the image but I didn’t think anything changed from swing to swing on the upper half just the lower got wider and more leveraged thru better posture to allow more force thru that leverage to utilize more of the core.

If we talk push v held v pull. I would say the left is a push and the right is a pull by the core. The middle is a mix and a ‘held’ would be a drag which isn’t in the image. Again just my opinion.

Well hopefully we can get to the bottom of what a push is :)

So I see the change in barrel direction as a pulling "down to" What do you see is pushing ?

Jvn2raS.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Well hopefully we can get to the bottom of what a push is :)

So I see the change in barrel direction as a pulling "down to" What do you see is pushing ?

Jvn2raS.gif

Ok ok. Yeah sure ok ok then. Trying to do my best Letterkenny. I agree with you when described that way.

My comment of push is that the hands moving independently and passing everything. Not ‘connected’ to anything.

From this, can I surmise that the push can only be the last portion of the swing? That one can only push ‘away’ from something? Once you pass the midline of the ‘swing’?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach