Swing down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
4 girl's dad,

You had a question about promoting keeping the barrel above hands relative to hitting a riseball...

In my opinion & experience, the trick is the rotation, or rolling of the top hand over the top at contact. The purpose is to alter the barrel location relative to the hand path just enough to be the difference in contact with a late jumping rise.

There are other attributes key to consistantly hitting the rise, including hands/bat positioning, reading spin, staying tall in posture, anticipation & strike zone, hand path and so on.

Grab a mirror & a bat, see if you can notice the difference for yourself.

Consistancy is an advanced skill, and can take an extraordinary amount of time to see results. That said, becoming consistant with squaring it can produce great results. Hint: Along with it's rising plane change, the 6-12 o'clock backspin of the pitch becomes a reverse 6-12 backspin at the contact, generating lift off the contact point.

Fiveframeswing mentioned a theory about "palm up, palm down" hand positioning in another thread, which could generally prove accurate in this scenario.

Chris

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In my opinion & experience, the trick is the rotation, or rolling of the top hand over the top at contact. The purpose is to alter the barrel location relative to the hand path just enough to be the difference in contact with a late jumping rise.

The notion of a "late jumping rise" is a lot like the Easter Bunny. While there are some young and innocent individuals that still believe in the Easter Bunny, the Easter Bunny is not real ... dido for the notion of the "late jumping rise".

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The notion of a "late jumping rise" is a lot like the Easter Bunny. While there are some young and innocent individuals that still believe in the Easter Bunny, the Easter Bunny is not real ... dido for the notion of the "late jumping rise".

Oh, I've seen 2 in my life time. Those 2 pitchers had great movement on the pitch. They exist, only very few are nothing but high fastballs.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Oh, I've seen 2 in my life time. Those 2 pitchers had great movement on the pitch. They exist, only very few are nothing but high fastballs.

No Shawn, the "late jumping rise" does not exist.

The funny thing about this "late jumping rise", is every time a camera is turned on, the ball senses the camera and stops 'jumping'. The same type of magic that has the ball detecting a bat and 'jumping', is also able to detect a camera and stop 'jumping'.

I don't doubt that you believe you've seen a "late jumping riseball". Folks that don't use their eyes properly can be deceived in this manner.

Once I teach a hitter to use their eyes correctly they never again face a "late jumping riseball". There is beauty in seeing reality head on.

Anyone that truly believes in this fairy tale is welcome to post a video of this magic feat.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
No Shawn, the "late jumping rise" does not exist.

The funny thing about this "late jumping rise", is every time a camera is turned on, the ball senses the camera and stops 'jumping'. The same type of magic that has the ball detecting a bat and 'jumping', is also able to detect a camera and stop 'jumping'.

I don't doubt that you believe you've seen a "late jumping riseball". Folks that don't use their eyes properly can be deceived in this manner.

Once I teach a hitter to use their eyes correctly they never again face a "late jumping riseball". There is beauty in seeing reality head on.

Anyone that truly believes in this fairy tale is welcome to post a video of this magic feat.

I am intrigued!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
FFS, thanks. I recall those posts but thought you were referring to something else. Still, excellent stuff.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Good stuff FFS. To me it isn't much different than an outfielder tracking a slicing line drive. The outfielder is not trying to determine "spin", but is instead recognizing trajectory. The earlier the recognition comes, the sooner they can be in position to make the catch. So it is with hitting. Creating a hard focus is counter productive in my opinion.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Good stuff FFS. To me it isn't much different than an outfielder tracking a slicing line drive. The outfielder is not trying to determine "spin", but is instead recognizing trajectory. The earlier the recognition comes, the sooner they can be in position to make the catch. So it is with hitting. Creating a hard focus is counter productive in my opinion.

Yes it is counter productive...and there is science to back it...do some reading on ambient vs. focal vision...

The hard part - as a coach - is to get this message through to the parents and players...they act like you're trying to teach their daughter to hit or field using "the force."

star%20wars.gif

CP

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
FiveFrameSwing:

Not real?
View attachment 10702

FiveFrameSwing:

5FS,

Kudos for the compliment of being young and innocent. It's been a long time, so I appreciate it! :cool:

The terminology is relative.

Two short video clips, leaving it to any interested viewers to make their own assessments.

0:20 - 0:25

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish