Survey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ggalante6

#1 Gabby fan
We drive 3.5hrs one way to visit with my DD's PC. She is 17 and pitching for 6 yrs. He is (well) known on this forum and we should have started with him a year earlier when he was in SC. It would have been an 8hr trip. I waited and went to local guy, but we would have been better served to pay for the travel and hotel.

In my opinion the girls are hitting so well at the upper levels of this game that you just can't do this on your own. (Or over the internet) If your DD wants to dominate in HS or play college softball you need direction from an advanced coach.

Young pitchers under 14 should see someone once per week until they have the mechanics down. Then go every other week as long as they are working in between. By that time they will probably be at the upper end of the pitchers in your area at their age level.

Then as they are able to do some self-coaching, go as we do every six weeks with an advanced coach.

The average parent, HS and even travel ball coach just doesn't have the eye (or mindset) to prepare pitchers to face today's talented batters. Invest in an advanced PC as long as your DD is doing her part.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2015
My thoughts exactly. We have been to a lot a bad pitching coaches. After one weekend of real pitching coaches, I now know there is no real substitution. This is very sound advice.

We drive 3.5hrs one way to visit with my DD's PC. She is 17 and pitching for 6 yrs. He is (well) known on this forum and we should have started with him a year earlier when he was in SC. It would have been an 8hr trip. I waited and went to local guy, but we would have been better served to pay for the travel and hotel.

In my opinion the girls are hitting so well at the upper levels of this game that you just can't do this on your own. (Or over the internet) If your DD wants to dominate in HS or play college softball you need direction from an advanced coach.

Young pitchers under 14 should see someone once per week until they have the mechanics down. Then go every other week as long as they are working in between. By that time they will probably be at the upper end of the pitchers in your area at their age level.

Then as they are able to do some self-coaching, go as we do every six weeks with an advanced coach.

The average parent, HS and even travel ball coach just doesn't have the eye (or mindset) to prepare pitchers to face today's talented batters. Invest in an advanced PC as long as your DD is doing her part.

Dec 7, 2011
As much as I have seen so many pitchers, including my DD, have a learning "blockage" from their dads,.... I don't know how you dad's of pitchers do it.
Meaning so many DD's just can't take pitching tutelage from their dad's.
Is it dad's like me that just don't know how to connect with their DD's? Could be....to a degree.
Is it certain DD's that just can't keep an open ear to their dads? Could be....to a degree.
Who knows - but it's amazing how much I have seen pitchers, including my DD, take in and learn from other people, when dad was saying the same thing til he was blue in the face.

My hat's off to you dad's AND DD's that can get all the way there only working with each other!

Dec 28, 2015
Schaumburg, IL
We see the PC every week, when possible. He's a little over an hour away, so during busy times of the year we are sometimes only able to see him every other week or even once a month.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
As much as I have seen so many pitchers, including my DD, have a learning "blockage" from their dads,.... I don't know how you dad's of pitchers do it.
Meaning so many DD's just can't take pitching tutelage from their dad's.
Is it dad's like me that just don't know how to connect with their DD's? Could be....to a degree.
Is it certain DD's that just can't keep an open ear to their dads? Could be....to a degree.
Who knows - but it's amazing how much I have seen pitchers, including my DD, take in and learn from other people, when dad was saying the same thing til he was blue in the face.

My hat's off to you dad's AND DD's that can get all the way there only working with each other!

1. It's not just dads.
2. It's not just pitching

There is something about hearing the message from someone else that allows it to resonate with the child, even if the words being used are identical. I think 22 is the magical age when the frequency of receptiveness changes.

Jun 12, 2015
My dd is good about listening to us but even she learns better from someone who's not mom or dad. My older one - let's just say it's a good thing she's not a pitcher or catcher. We can't tell that kid ANYTHING.

Dec 7, 2011
1. It's not just dads.
2. It's not just pitching

There is something about hearing the message from someone else that allows it to resonate with the child, even if the words being used are identical. I think 22 is the magical age when the frequency of receptiveness changes.

No offense intended to any bucket-moms - just never met one. Honestly. It's always psycho dads (like me :) )

I was just blinders-on to pitching.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
DD is now 13. She took lessons every one to two weeks from about 8 to 12. Now she goes about every 4 to 8 weeks. She gets plenty of circle time in practices, TB league games, friendlies, and tournaments to work on stuff from the previous lesson.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1