Stride foot ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
A local coach insist that stride foot should be closed because if open it causes the hips to open early.

I've been talking w/ a local hitting coach who believes my DD should land more open than she currently does, which is about 45 degrees. I do worry that this would encourage the hips to open too early, but I also tend to think - if done correctly - that a hitter may get more torque, or hip/shoulder separation, by landing more open. I've been studying a lot of hitters who are more open. Jose Bautista is one.

Jun 18, 2010
Read Donny's presentation.

It should be a sticky in the hitting forum. A lot of the terminology used in the hitting threads is well defined here.

Front Foot Action in Weight Shift
  • The front foot can be a no teach. I have stood behind many players and asked them to start their stride and unexpectedly pushed them from behind.
  • 100% of them land with the lead foot at 45degrees.
  • The front side knows how to accept weight in a balanced position and needs to accept weight over a bent knee to become the lower body trigger.
  • The upper body loads the same every pitch. The front foot becomes the trigger to adjust the body to the ball in different pitch locations.
  • If you coil the hips as you stride you will naturally uncoil properly into front foot plant.

Jun 18, 2010
RD must be taking the afternoon off.

papau_zps54fe6363.gif

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
The only time I talk about the plant foot angle, is if the hips or front shoulder open to early, otherwise I leave it alone. I have some that are slightly open and some up to 60 degrees.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

This is an example of planting at greater than 45 degrees, wouldn't you agree? This is an example of what a local coach is suggesting or advocating. The change from 45 to greater occurs just a split second before the heel plant. It's a late move and therefore isn't that different than a 45-degree angle that shifts to more open during the swing. That's how I see it. Key here, I would think, is keeping hands and shoulder back, maintaining that stretch/torque. See wrinkles in his jersey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes