Stride foot ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is an example of planting at greater than 45 degrees, wouldn't you agree? This is an example of what a local coach is suggesting or advocating. The change from 45 to greater occurs just a split second before the heel plant. It's a late move and therefore isn't that different than a 45-degree angle that shifts to more open during the swing. That's how I see it. Key here, I would think, is keeping hands and shoulder back, maintaining that stretch/torque. See wrinkles in his jersey.

To me this is a good example of what some people call lead leg flare. I would be interested in reading other peoples view on that topic.

Feb 3, 2014
If you are going to open 45+, wouldn't I be imperative that the back leg be straight and anchored at toe touch? Thus keeping the back hip from leaking forward and allowing the upper half to soften/open early? After toe touch the hips engage normally at heel touch. My DD prefers 45+, I am guessing Coogan is learning from the same HI that my DD sees. If I try it myself, I can generate what feels like additional speed/torque. Before everyone says apply the Hanson Principle, I have and there are not a ton of hitters doing this, very few actually. For my DD who isn't as strong as the boys that are her age, I feel it helps speed up the hips. My only concern is the outside pitch. Not a big problem in 10u, but I think as she gets older/stronger that the angle may need to be reduced?

Last edited:
One thing we have to remember is that we are teaching YOUNGER kids or kids that are not a the HLBB swing as of yet so I wouldn't necessarily say it has to be 45-90 etc. but most kids have a problem opening their hips to soon so I think turning the foot more closed can help a kid feel the hip staying closed ....but as far as teaching it as an absolute no

Feb 3, 2014
One thing we have to remember is that we are teaching YOUNGER kids or kids that are not a the HLBB swing as of yet so I wouldn't necessarily say it has to be 45-90 etc. but most kids have a problem opening their hips to soon so I think turning the foot more closed can help a kid feel the hip staying closed ....but as far as teaching it as an absolute no

Agree that it is not an absolute, however could it benefit a kid who does open the hips too soon? By this I mean have the kid open the front foot keep the back leg anchored and straight at toe touch. Let them learn the feeling of the stretch across the pelvis. Teach them that the only way to achieve this feeling is by keeping the back hip coiled or back until the launch. Refer to it as a rubber band, the rear hip stays back and the front foot opens thus opening the front hip/stretch the rubber band. Just wondering if it could be used as a tool to help teach hip usage? One thing I have realized with my DD is that if I tell her how to use her hips she looks at me like I have six heads. If she does a drill that stretches the hips and then creates a faster turn when the back foot is released from the ground she can feel the difference and she is learning how to manipulate/use her body. Not saying that it is taught as part of the swing, but the biggest problem I see with kids is they don't understand how to use their bodies to do some of the things we are asking them to do. I have found with my DD that teaching her how to use her body by isolating certain parts and working on different movements/feelings helps her understand better what I am asking her to do in the swing.

Maybe a little off topic, sorry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12