Stride foot is slipping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2010
My 12u daughter has been having trouble with her stride foot slipping. She has a long stride and appears to be more explosive than most girls her age. Since 12u cannot use metal cleats, it has been a problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jul 26, 2010
Perhaps her stride is too long? Is she landing with her foot at 45 degrees to the power line? Is she landing with the whole foot, and not just her toe? Does she have this problem when pitching indoors on a rubber mat? Have any video?

-W

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My 12u daughter has been having trouble with her stride foot slipping. She has a long stride and appears to be more explosive than most girls her age. Since 12u cannot use metal cleats, it has been a problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Indoor facility or in her games?? In the games, wjhat is the condition of the circle where the foot touches down? Loose dirt?? Damp dirt??

She should be landing on the ball of the foot with the heel only above the ground maybe 1/2 inch. Then the heel comes down a millisecond after the ball of the foot touches down.

Mar 12, 2010
outdoors

She does not slip indoors only during games where the pitching circle is very hard. Since the area is hardened with clay (not sure what it is called) she cannot dig in. Her stride foot does land at 45 degrees but I will take a closer look to see if she is landing heel first. Her pitching coach has corrected her on that before. She fell down at least five times last weekend. The umpires tried moving loose dirt where her foot lands but that seems to make it worse.

Thank you all for your replies!

May 7, 2008
She does not slip indoors only during games where the pitching circle is very hard. Since the area is hardened with clay (not sure what it is called) she cannot dig in. Her stride foot does land at 45 degrees but I will take a closer look to see if she is landing heel first. Her pitching coach has corrected her on that before. She fell down at least five times last weekend. The umpires tried moving loose dirt where her foot lands but that seems to make it worse.

Thank you all for your replies!

that sounds like a field issue. plastic cleats landing on "concrete clay" are going to slide. metal cleats might too! no technique change is going to fix that. best bet on a field that hard might be turf shoes or even tennis shoes. you might try watering down the landing zone and softening it up some if the ump will let you. every pitcher parent has a watering can on hand a the game right?...lol

Mar 12, 2010
Thanks

Thank you fp91...Ha...I actually told my wife I was going to take a watering can to our next tourney in case they have clay. I have been watching and her foot is landing at the 45 degree angle, and her foot appears to be landing whole surface at the same time.

Feb 5, 2010
What I have done on very hard diamonds that are slippery, is pour a bottle of water where she lands. I have never had anyone complain and it will soften the area enough for the molded cleat to work.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Is there a 35 foot rubber in front of the 40? My DD has hurt herself before landing on it with the stride foot pitching from 43......

Mar 15, 2011
Is there a 35 foot rubber in front of the 40? My DD has hurt herself before landing on it with the stride foot pitching from 43......

That happened to my DD too. It was like that through one whole game and half an inning before she pitched and no one else noticed it. LOL. She slipped on her very first warm-up pitch. At first they tried to get her to adjust but my wife immediately put the kabosh to that. She told them that they either get the other rubber out of there or DD would not throw another pitch. Not risking injury for convenience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877