Stretch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
The longer the stride the harder it is to rotate the hips. Also that then can cause connection issues. If you notice the end of her swing, before contact, she essentially makes up the difference by pushing the hands to the ball and loses alot of power. I think if she gets 6 inches shorter it would be easier to stay behind the ball by rotation/connection.

Good problem to have - she isn’t afraid to GO BIG!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She almost gets stuck with her hands and has to do a lot of work to get them back out in front of her body. Off speed and inside pitches may cause her problems. But look where is is at in the box. Maybe she has overcome the possible trouble with the inside pitch with how she sets up in the box.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I don't love this swing. That does not mean she won't get great hits. To me this is very long and creates a path that will cause too many pop ups. I would rather see more of a NIKE swish. A tighter hand turn to get on the path earlier and the barrel turn in the back.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She almost gets stuck with her hands and has to do a lot of work to get them back out in front of her body. Off speed and inside pitches may cause her problems. But look where is is at in the box. Maybe she has overcome the possible trouble with the inside pitch with how she sets up in the box.

I see this a lot in college fastpitch. She does trap the hands a little.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
I had the good fortune to attend a seminar where Rachel Folden (Cubs new hitting coach) spoke about this exact issue.
She talked about 2 different types of hitters based on how their body is naturally put together.
She referred to them as a loose hitter vs a tight hitter. Some players mussels, tendons and connective tissue is longer and has more elasticity to them and require a larger separation and stride to get the slack out, than does a tight hitter, who on the contrary, requires less separation and stride to achieve the same stretch. She also said that she would much prefer to work with a tight hitter, as there is less movement in the swing to correct than a loose hitter. Loose hitters tend to have more timing issue as the try to make sure that they maintain correct sequencing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad