Streaming College Games...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
Any way to do it without Chromecast? I do have a smart TV.

Connected or SmartTV's can only play WatchESPN if the TV has the WatchESPN application. My Samsung Smart TV doesn't have the Watch ESPN app in the samsung apps store. It has the SEC Network, ACC Network and XOS College sports app which might have the games on it as well even though those apps have never worked on my TV (stuck on "Connecting...") so I just stopped trying. Maybe you can get the SEC app to work. Let me know.

Oct 2, 2015
Thanks for all of the input guys!

OK, finally got the ChromeCast and WatchESPN Smartphone app up and running.
I watched parts of several games now.
Some people have a seamless set-up, others like myself have to jump through a couple more hoops.
For what ever reason, I had to call DirecTV and reset our password, because our old one wouldn't allow us to log in...

Like I said before, I am not a tech guru, so some of this stuff I'm going to type here will be will make me look like Captain Obvious to some...:)

After inserting the Chromecast into the TV, the TV walks you through an easy set-up process.
Our SmarTV is several years old and only has 2 HDMI ports.
When I change the TV input from HDMI 1 to to watch streaming TV on WatchESPN, I figured out there are actually 2 options to select for HDMI port #2
One says ChromeCast, and that's the selection I make to view WatchESPN.
The other option is HDMI 2. And that's the one I select to view the batting and hitting clips from my phone on our TV.

Another thing I realized, is that even though we only have one Router in the house, for some reason there are 3 router options to choose from on the TV and the phone. (Thanks finalcloud!)
So I set both the TV and phone Wi Fi router option to the same name and router option.

For the first day we had it plugged into the TV, the ChromeCast would not be picked up by the phones app.
All you need to do is a simple reset by unplugging the Chromecast from the TV's HDMI port for a second or two, and re-plug it back in.

With the internet speed we have out here in the boondocks, the "Cast" reception from the phone to the TV only says "GOOD".
So our picture quality waxes and wanes, from near HD quality to fuzzy 1970's color Console TV quality.

From what I hear the Roku is the way to good when it comes to ease of set-up and especially screen clarity and quality, but I don't know that for a fact.

Regardless, the DDs are stoked that they get to watch some fast pitch games before the SEC starts broadcasting them on DirecTV in early March.

But I think (I know) they are more excited to watch themselves on the TV in regular and slow-mo on the TV while batting and pitching, from the videos I took from the phone. (Actually I think it's pretty cool too)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
We ended up having to move our Chromecast closer to our router to get a better signal... I'm pleasantly surprised with the video quality even on a big screen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mar 29, 2012
We haven't had cable for over a year now. I have amazon firetv and the watchespn app. I do have sling TV which comes in over the internet that has espn and espn2.

Since I don't have all of the espn channels I can't get all the live broadcast, but I have found that in the watchespn app if I go to th replay I can watch any of the game that were on any of the channels except sec network.

This past weekend I watched most of the acc/big ten chalenge that way.

Oct 10, 2011
I've started watching the replays and a lot of them say I don't have permission to view... I have Direct Tv.. Is that normal?

Oct 2, 2015
I've started watching the replays and a lot of them say I don't have permission to view... I have Direct Tv.. Is that normal?

I have DirecTV as well, have you been able to watch some replays and live games before, and for some reason now it won't let you watch games?

One of the initial problems I was having was for some reason I had to reset my password with DirecTV when I was prompted to select the cable/satellite provider to be able to view WatchESPN.

Also, what finalcloud stated is necessary as well. The router option that you choose on the TV has to be EXACTLY the same as what you choose on your phone or tablet.

Our router has 2 new named options to choose from, as well as the old router name we had before upgrading.

I have no idea why our old password wouldn't work, but ever since we reset the password and entered it to log-in, it has worked perfectly.

Another thing is, with out ChromeCast we actually have to selections on the TV input bar on HDMI port #2.
One selection is ChromeCast, which is for Streaming/Casting TV shows.
The second selection just states HDMI 2, and we use that for viewing videos and pics on the TV.

By no means am I an expert a this....just letting you know the problems I've had so far.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I have DirecTV as well, have you been able to watch some replays and live games before, and for some reason now it won't let you watch games?

One of the initial problems I was having was for some reason I had to reset my password with DirecTV when I was prompted to select the cable/satellite provider to be able to view WatchESPN.

Also, what finalcloud stated is necessary as well. The router option that you choose on the TV has to be EXACTLY the same as what you choose on your phone or tablet.

Our router has 2 new named options to choose from, as well as the old router name we had before upgrading.

I have no idea why our old password wouldn't work, but ever since we reset the password and entered it to log-in, it has worked perfectly.

Another thing is, with out ChromeCast we actually have to selections on the TV input bar on HDMI port #2.
One selection is ChromeCast, which is for Streaming/Casting TV shows.
The second selection just states HDMI 2, and we use that for viewing videos and pics on the TV.

By no means am I an expert a this....just letting you know the problems I've had so far.
Hope this helps.
I can watch some but I'm blocked from others in the ESPN App... I'm off to work but I'll try resetting the password.

Mar 29, 2012
I have a chromecast and firetv.

I like the firetv better becuase you cna download apps directly onto it. chromecast is only good if I want to just cast my complete desktop.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00