Streaming / Scoring Team Manager Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2022
Which GoPro model?
I have the Hero 9. Used it once for an indoor scrimmage this winter so I can't speak to the overheating issue.

It's pretty much its own system for recruiting. Parents or coaches can go in and "tag" a players plays - like for a weekend, tag every at bat and every fielding play they made. The at bats are condensed down to just the pitches thrown, so coaches can get a real good look at full at bats, without having to watch 4 minutes for a single at bat. Also, a coach can say - I'm looking for a 2023 catcher, so I want to see all the throwdowns for outs that were made last weekend, and bam, at their fingertips. You can also pay to have their staff go and tag all the plays. (It's easy for the players and parents to do). You can send a coach to your tagup page, and it will have all your plays, all your at bats, all sorted and categorized for easy viewing and searching. TagUp is more a recruiting tool. It's a very cool system and so far we really like it.
At what age or grade level did you begin using it?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
I have the Hero 9. Used it once for an indoor scrimmage this winter so I can't speak to the overheating issue.

At what age or grade level did you begin using it?
For 8u and 10u it was all just trial and error of me learning how to film and edit with gopros and whatever free software I could find to edit with. My kid loves to see the highlights, and now have kids from all over that watch the videos. Didn't really get worried with recruiting level video until 14U. TagUp we use for that aspect, to grab all the plays, all the swings, anything a coach may want to look at. The highlight videos are still more about fun, fun plays, shots in the dugout, stuff like that. The main thing is think of it as 2 different tasks - livestreaming and videoing. Livestream so the families that aren't there can watch, and be aware you sometimes are gonna be limited by signal strength. Treat videoing as wanting to have all those clips to be able to edit and use after the fact. Get as much video as you can. Delete out the inning of nothing but walks and whatnot, so it's less to go through after the weekend.

Feb 1, 2022
For 8u and 10u it was all just trial and error of me learning how to film and edit with gopros and whatever free software I could find to edit with. My kid loves to see the highlights, and now have kids from all over that watch the videos. Didn't really get worried with recruiting level video until 14U. TagUp we use for that aspect, to grab all the plays, all the swings, anything a coach may want to look at. The highlight videos are still more about fun, fun plays, shots in the dugout, stuff like that. The main thing is think of it as 2 different tasks - livestreaming and videoing. Livestream so the families that aren't there can watch, and be aware you sometimes are gonna be limited by signal strength. Treat videoing as wanting to have all those clips to be able to edit and use after the fact. Get as much video as you can. Delete out the inning of nothing but walks and whatnot, so it's less to go through after the weekend.

At our first scrimmage of the season I used my GoPro to record the whole game. Then uploaded it to my YouTube account so I could share it with the coaches. From there I just used my phone to screen record plays that I thought were important or looked good (big hits, nice fielding plays, etc). Then using the app ActionDirector I stitched them together into a quick 2 minute video that we posted to our club's Twitter account. It wasn't a difficult process or that time consuming, other than the HD processing on YouTube which took FOREVER!!

Jul 14, 2018
Last summer we started using TagUp, which is great. I have a second phone that is set up to record clips during the game, controlled through an apple watch interface. Each at bat is recorded and uploaded in real time, using the watch to start and stop the video on each pitch. It's a service through her organization.

You piqued my interest with TagUp, but man, their website is terrible. I clicked all over and found zero useful information. Other than the price, they’re front and center with that.

How does it ID players, does it connect through a scoring app or does that have to be done on their platform? Is it a closed system like GC, or do they make it easy to export to Twitter, etc.?

Honestly, tapping the camera on and off for each pitch sounds really tedious, but if you like it I’m guessing that it’s easier than it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The most reliable GoPro is the HERO5. This was the last year that a 3rd party made their chipset. Ever since then GoPro has been developing their own in house and playing catch up. The 6 was horrible, but each model has gotten slightly better. The HERO9 and 10 record beautiful video, with the 10 slightly higher in quality than the 9, but have heat related issues that go away if you remove the internal battery (something we hadn't recommended in the past, but do now) and use external power exclusively. This is because GoPro changed the software (firmware) to recognize 2 different critical failure temperatures. When the internal battery is in place it is around 115 degrees. But when running without the battery, it is closer to 125 degrees.

All of our standard tests are using an ambient booth temperature of 100 degrees. This does not test sunlight on the screen, which is different. Those temperatures can be mitigated covering the camera with just about anything (we use a ball cap).

With internal battery (failed in 26 minutes):
View attachment 25106

No internal battery. Ran over 11 hours before 256GB card filled. (cold battery alert has been fixed in new firmware)
View attachment 25107

Test results of the test above:
View attachment 25108
Thank you very much. This was very helpful. It looks like I'll be getting a GoPro!

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
You piqued my interest with TagUp, but man, their website is terrible. I clicked all over and found zero useful information. Other than the price, they’re front and center with that.

How does it ID players, does it connect through a scoring app or does that have to be done on their platform? Is it a closed system like GC, or do they make it easy to export to Twitter, etc.?

Honestly, tapping the camera on and off for each pitch sounds really tedious, but if you like it I’m guessing that it’s easier than it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once players are in the system, it is very easy to tag them in plays. Just bring up that at bat, and it has pull down menus to choose the player, the type of play, result, added info, etc.

The pitch by pitch is a pain, but more so with the apple watch you just have to stay in the game while watching. I hold the watch in my hand, with my thumb on the button. Hit once to start, hit again to stop, then hit a second button to end the at bat, it within a second it is uploaded to the site. A parent could go in while the kid was still on the bases and share the clip out to twitter, fb, instagram, anywhere.

What cool is TagUp and AGL really seem to be getting all the other players - GC, SidelineHD, and others to rally invest and expand their products.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles