Strange dropped third strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2014
I'm still learning a lot of this stuff. Thanks for setting me straight.

Would this also be the case for a batter who gets hit on the hand while attempting to bunt?

Depends upon which rule book.
In A.S.A. there is no requirement for the bunter to pull the bat back to avoid a strike call while attempting a bunt.
She can hold the motionless bat over the plate and if the pitch is not in the strike zone then it should be called a ball.
In this case should the pitched ball hit her hand but was out of the strike zone it would be dead ball, award batter first and advance any forced runners.
In Federation or Little League softball (as of 2011) having the bat over the plate would be a called strike, so if the ball hit her hand it would still be a dead ball, but it would be a strike with no base award.
In any case if a batter is hit with a pitch while swinging at a third strike the ball is dead, the batter is out and the so called dropped third strike rule ( it is actually an uncaught 3rd strike) does not apply.
As to the OP--even if the batter runs to first and draws a throw that goes wild and allows the other runners to score ( and every umpire has seen this at least once) when the smoke has cleared you inform the coaches that the batter is out and all runners must return to the bases that they occupied at the time of pitch.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
In A.S.A. there is no requirement for the bunter to pull the bat back to avoid a strike call while attempting a bunt. She can hold the motionless bat over the plate and if the pitch is not in the strike zone then it should be called a ball.

I know this is the ASA rule technically, but I have never seen an umpire NOT call this a strike. Personally, I think it a horrible rule since the batter could easily get the bunt down while technically not "attempting to bunt".

Compare this to a batter swinging away, but attempted to check her swing, and ended up in the same position as the bunter in your example, most umpires would rule that a strike even if the pitch was a "ball". Maybe someone call share the rationale behind this bunt attempt rule?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Depends upon which rule book.

Not really. The question is "what if the batter's hit while attempting to bunt". While some rule sets might have different definitions of what constitutes a bunt attempt, that isn't the question. The question itself assumes that the batter was trying to bunt.

With respect to the ASA bunt rule...no, they do not require the batter to withdraw the bat to abort a bunt attempt. Sure, if the bat is held motionless and the ball sails by out of the strike zone, then it is a ball. But if the batter is holding the bat so close to the ball's path that it hits her hand, I'd have a hard time judging that it wasn't a bunt attempt.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I know this is the ASA rule technically, but I have never seen an umpire NOT call this a strike. Personally, I think it a horrible rule since the batter could easily get the bunt down while technically not "attempting to bunt".

Compare this to a batter swinging away, but attempted to check her swing, and ended up in the same position as the bunter in your example, most umpires would rule that a strike even if the pitch was a "ball". Maybe someone call share the rationale behind this bunt attempt rule?

The NCAA/NFHS rule is a lazy man's rule. ASA has it correct as every other portion of the rule requires the batter attempt to strike the ball, this shouldn't be any different.

Under the NCAA/NFHS rule, a batter could square up and put the bat over the plate and watch the pitch go over the backstop. However, by rule, if the batter does not pull the bat, this must be called a strike.

Mar 15, 2014
Not really. The question is "what if the batter's hit while attempting to bunt". While some rule sets might have different definitions of what constitutes a bunt attempt, that isn't the question. The question itself assumes that the batter was trying to bunt.

After I typed in my response I realized the question was about a bunt attempt and I was tempted to delete my response.
But--since there is a lot of confusion as to what is an attempt I decided to let it stand.

but I have never seen an umpire NOT call this a strike.

As an umpire, I have made this call more than once.
N.Y.S. public public schools use A.S.A. and I have heard several umpires educate coaches as to why they did not call it a strike.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2013
My dd was hit in the hand.. She swung trying to avoid the hit pm a check swing but it hit her on the finger. Umpire called it a strike. is this a correct call

Mar 15, 2014
If she swung and was hit by the pitch it is a strike.
If all she was doing was trying to avoid the pitch and her bat moved in a swing like fashion then no--she did not attempt to strike at the ball and the umpire can award her the base.
( Unless she was struck while in the strike zone.)
Naturally whether or not it was a swing is in the judgement of the umpire.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My dd was hit in the hand.. She swung trying to avoid the hit pm a check swing but it hit her on the finger. Umpire called it a strike. is this a correct call

If it was called a strike was solely based on the swing of the bat or the ball passing through the strike zone, yes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish