Strange dropped third strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Batter swings, ball hits her and scoots away so batter is able to get to 1B. Is it interference, dead ball or live and she is safe at 1B?

Mar 15, 2014
Whenever a batter is hit by pitch it is a dead ball.
In this case, since she swung, it is a strike.
Since this was the 3rd strike she is out--dropped third strike does not apply if hit by pitch.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2010
Florida
Whenever a batter is hit by pitch it is a dead ball.
In this case, since she swung, it is a strike.
Since this was the 3rd strike she is out--dropped third strike does not apply if hit by pitch.
Is a batter still out if after it hits the batter stays in fair territory. Had this play happen in our last game.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd had a game last night. Top of the 7th, She puts a pitch inside that rides in on the batter. The batter took a full swing, not a check that went to far, a full on swing. Missed the ball, it hit her in the chest. Ump gave her first base. Ball hit her while she was in the box the ump says, so its first base she gets. I was not a happy dad.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My dd had a game last night. Top of the 7th, She puts a pitch inside that rides in on the batter. The batter took a full swing, not a check that went to far, a full on swing. Missed the ball, it hit her in the chest. Ump gave her first base. Ball hit her while she was in the box the ump says, so its first base she gets. I was not a happy dad.

In my understanding, the ump was correct.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not if the batter was swinging at the pitch.

*sigh*

That's three times in seven posts. Here's one more...Not if she's swinging at the pitch!

Trying to hit the ball with the bat overrides the fact that the ball was inside the batter's box.

I'm still learning a lot of this stuff. Thanks for setting me straight.

Would this also be the case for a batter who gets hit on the hand while attempting to bunt?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Would this also be the case for a batter who gets hit on the hand while attempting to bunt?

Yes. And don't let anyone ever try to tell you that "the hands are part of the bat"!

The hands are part of the batter, not the bat, despite the long-enduring rule myth to the contrary. In your example, you have a batter attempting to hit the ball with the bat, then the batter is hit by the pitch.

Ruling: Dead ball, strike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand