Third strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2013
Just wanted to say that one of the teams made the out in this situation tonight. The also got fired into right field, so nobody got cocky anyway.

:D

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Unusually I do a simple “strike 3”, take my mask off and wait for something to happen. Sometimes the players just stand there, sometimes the batter starts toward the dugout. It’s usually a few seconds before anyone reacts that the batter-runner (yes, they are now the batter-runner) hasn’t been put out and we have a live ball. Sometimes a coach or parent will start yelling instructions. More than once I’ve seen the catcher with the ball standing within tagging distance from the batter-runner realize they need to make a play and promptly fire it into right field.

To be fair, I call a lot of community 12u and 10u.
When I'm coaching young or inexperienced catchers before a two strike pitch I'd always say, "Tag her out-throw her out."

I wanted her last thought to be about making a play after strike three. I also said it in that order because I wanted her first thought to be to tag her out.

I must have said it a lot because ten years later a dad of one of my players was talking about a young catcher he was working with and he said, "I'm working with her on tag her out-throw her out situations."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles