Third strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2022
What is the correct verbiage for home plate umpire to use when third strike is dropped and catcher has to throw to 1b for the out?

May 29, 2015
Called strike ... "Strike!" or "Strike three!"
Swinging strike ... say nothing.

There is no special verbal call.

The physical call is to signal the strike and then give a safe sign.

When it is an uncaught third strike and the batter cannot run (first base is occupied), I do give a loud and repeated "The batter is out!"

Mar 1, 2013
Unusually I do a simple “strike 3”, take my mask off and wait for something to happen. Sometimes the players just stand there, sometimes the batter starts toward the dugout. It’s usually a few seconds before anyone reacts that the batter-runner (yes, they are now the batter-runner) hasn’t been put out and we have a live ball. Sometimes a coach or parent will start yelling instructions. More than once I’ve seen the catcher with the ball standing within tagging distance from the batter-runner realize they need to make a play and promptly fire it into right field.

To be fair, I call a lot of community 12u and 10u.

Unusually I do a simple “strike 3”, take my mask off and wait for something to happen. Sometimes the players just stand there, sometimes the batter starts toward the dugout. It’s usually a few seconds before anyone reacts that the batter-runner (yes, they are now the batter-runner) hasn’t been put out and we have a live ball. Sometimes a coach or parent will start yelling instructions. More than once I’ve seen the catcher with the ball standing within tagging distance from the batter-runner realize they need to make a play and promptly fire it into right field.

To be fair, I call a lot of community 12u and 10u.
Promptly fire it into right field...😆😆😆

Jul 27, 2021
Last weekend we had a player get on base 3 times from DTS. She scored twice on those. She is a catcher.

Aug 5, 2022
You mean it’s not to take so long to call strike 3 that the batter is half way to first and the runner on first assumes it’s a walk and starts jogging to second and gets thrown out. This was our high school game last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
You mean it’s not to take so long to call strike 3 that the batter is half way to first and the runner on first assumes it’s a walk and starts jogging to second and gets thrown out. This was our high school game last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe he had to sneeze?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles