Third strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
Maybe he had to sneeze?

Lol I wish. This crew had been somewhere else all night. Strike 3 was fully in the right handed batters box and nearly hit the batter in the shin so literally no one on the field thought it was strike 3. The catcher was set up very strangely with her body basically fully behind the batter and her glove over the chalk. I don’t know if this odd set up threw him off or what but it cost us 2 outs in a 1 run game for the conference championship. Many other things we could have done better to not need those 2 outs so I’ll never say he cost us the game but it sure would have helped to have our 1 and 2 hitters on base with the 3 up to bat and nobody out. The opposing catcher made a heads up play when he did call it so kudos to her. Oh and later the field ump congratulated the other team on their win on social media as he lives in their town. It was a bad look. We all have to be careful of social media when we are in positions of authority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
The correct action for the parents, of course, is to yell "RUN" as if a bear were chasing her.
Especially if first base is occupied because even though they've been watching for 5 year that rule that you can't run if fist base is occupied never came up before.

Jul 27, 2021
Lol I wish. This crew had been somewhere else all night. Strike 3 was fully in the right handed batters box and nearly hit the batter in the shin so literally no one on the field thought it was strike 3. The catcher was set up very strangely with her body basically fully behind the batter and her glove over the chalk. I don’t know if this odd set up threw him off or what but it cost us 2 outs in a 1 run game for the conference championship. Many other things we could have done better to not need those 2 outs so I’ll never say he cost us the game but it sure would have helped to have our 1 and 2 hitters on base with the 3 up to bat and nobody out. The opposing catcher made a heads up play when he did call it so kudos to her. Oh and later the field ump congratulated the other team on their win on social media as he lives in their town. It was a bad look. We all have to be careful of social media when we are in positions of authority.

Good Grief 😔

Aug 5, 2022
Not poking you @angispeds , but every time I hear that I just want to say, "You do know there are three strikes in a strike out, right?"

Yep and the first two were mid way left handed batters box. There wasn’t an actual strike in the strikeout but that’s not my issue. We deal with horrible strike zones all the time. My problem is the strike call being so delayed that the batter and the base runner both assumed ball 4 leading to a 2nd out. If a batter is out make your call don’t think about it forever. The batter didn’t even chuck the bat and start running immediately she waited a beat or two for the call and then started running. Again there were many other things throughout the game we should have done better but the play was bad and the social media comments after were worse.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The correct action for the parents, of course, is to yell "RUN" as if a bear were chasing her.

This is what I do from the third-base coach's box. I teach the rule, but the players are also trained to listen for the "run" (sometimes I can see it's not being caught before they can, too). There is actually a point or two in every season where as part of our pre-practice meeting I explain that if they're batting and have 2 strikes and they hear me scream "RUN!" to just drop the bat and go.

It actually helps, and from time to time, it's just a little bit quicker and it leads to the runner getting on base.

Mar 1, 2013
Unusually I do a simple “strike 3”, take my mask off and wait for something to happen. Sometimes the players just stand there, sometimes the batter starts toward the dugout. It’s usually a few seconds before anyone reacts that the batter-runner (yes, they are now the batter-runner) hasn’t been put out and we have a live ball. Sometimes a coach or parent will start yelling instructions. More than once I’ve seen the catcher with the ball standing within tagging distance from the batter-runner realize they need to make a play and promptly fire it into right field.

To be fair, I call a lot of community 12u and 10u.
This happened last night. But to her credit, the catcher did attempt a tag, but whiffed. She then promptly fired the ball into right field. 12U community. Lots of full counts. My thighs are getting like rebar from all the squats.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles