Stop Squishing the Bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Let’s hope the ebook is more concise. It shouldn’t take nine pages to simply state “read my ebook when it is available”.

That's cute...

Whether you agree or not with what Tewks has to offer, he's put out a lot of information for folks to consider and I've seen members on this board state their appreciation for direct assistance they have received.

My recommendation to the OP is to look at his site and perhaps make use of the PM system and if he is inclined get the ebook.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am a firm believer that hitting uses both a linear and rotational motion. I coach girls who were either taught a PURELY rotation swing (squishing the bug, spinning) or they are spinning on their own. They are young players (9-12) but I want to get them swinging with correct mechanics from the start.

Does anyone have any drills to get players to stop the 'squishing the bug' and get them on their toe during contact?

Thanks!

4x4 makes a good point. Marcus, there is nothing stopping you from answering the OP's question and tell him how you would handle this. In fact, I'd like to read it myself. I'm always looking to glean information.

Jan 25, 2011
Im sorry,am I missing something here? Since when does anyone teach getting on your back toes? If you break down mlb swings,they all "squish the bug" and hit with their hips. Ive seen too many girls swings where they generate very little power,and raise their eye level by getting too far up on their tippy toes on the back foot. Whip the hip!
If you break down MLB swings they don't squish the bug, welcome to the world and sit back and watch the show. We need the gif. From the movie the matrix with the red pill and the blue pill. It isn't that you teach them to get on the back toe, it is a result of using the correct mech. some hitters the back foot loses contact with the ground at contact.

Feb 3, 2013
Interesting ploy 4x4 & cannonball.

This is a somewhat bizarre thread. The first response to the OP’s question on bug squishing is a hidden message to advertise an ebook.

Rather than urge the person advertising their ebook to come forward with some information to assist this person, the tactic is instead to attack those that bring the obvious advertising ploy to the forefront.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

This is a somewhat bizarre thread. The first response to the OP’s question on bug squishing is a hidden message to advertise an ebook.

Rather than urge the person advertising their ebook to come forward with some information to assist this person, the tactic is instead to attack those that bring the obvious advertising ploy to the forefront.

Ploy? Wow, now that is bizarre to say the least. It is a ploy to ask to hear your thoughts? OK so other than your agenda to drive the membership of another website then you have nothing. Got it.

Feb 2, 2013
bloomington IL
I would like to apologize for my comments yesterday. I have spent the last 24 hours researching,youtubing, and reading about what you speak of. I now understand what you speak of.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH

Marcus, are you a member at HI?

Feb 3, 2013
Ploy? Wow, now that is bizarre to say the least. It is a ploy to ask to hear your thoughts? OK so other than your agenda to drive the membership of another website then you have nothing. Got it.

Cannonball, I gave some thoughts on the topic and the OP thanked me for the post. Please re-read the thread. Yes, I know it is somewhat painful with all the plugs for an ebook, but please read the thread.

Then take your turn on the topic. If you are going to ask folks to post their thoughts on a topic, then be prepared to do the same. You have some good input on the topic, so don't be shy with the information.

At least the Howard fan club created a thread to advertise their new DVDs. That thread may have come off as a shameless plug, but at least they were upfront about it and used an appropriate title for the thread. They didn't take over another thread and post advertisements as the very first response to someone else's thread.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Marcus, please give a reference to any post in this thread where you contributed some insights to the OPs situation. You have made 11 posts in this thread and yet, not one time have you stated any content to address it. i.e. content as written expression to answer the question.

Per myself, as you know, I don't know anything since according to your leader and as I have been told by other members here, because I'm just the father of a D-II player. Marcus, what level of ball does your child play? Simple enough question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45