Stop Squishing the Bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Im sorry,am I missing something here? Since when does anyone teach getting on your back toes? If you break down mlb swings,they all "squish the bug" and hit with their hips. Ive seen too many girls swings where they generate very little power,and raise their eye level by getting too far up on their tippy toes on the back foot. Whip the hip!

??????????

jenyee foot off ground.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
just taking Cabrera as an example, there are plenty of other examples of HIS swing that show his rear leg rotating with his hips and his right knee pointing to the ground. In effect, there is a "bug squish" of sorts taking place although on the specific example you shared here his foot literally leaves the ground. This is what leaves me confused. Was the original poster talking about kids grinding their entire foot into the ground or something weird like that? There's a lot more to think about that JUST what the foot is doing -- I don't think its about the foot at all. It's really a passenger at the end of your leg which is stuck to your hips. If a batter DOES rotate, the hips will pull the rear leg forward and the rear foot will come up off the ground and the knee will begin to point down to the ground. This MAY produce what some might interpret as a "bug squish." So what. If you're after rotation, and you've got your hands nice and inside you're going to deliver the head of the bat right into the strike zone with power. Finish nice and long and you should have a good swing. Who wouldn't want that?

Feb 3, 2013
Bug squishing is the turning of the entire rear leg as a unit. It is the use of the rear lower leg and foot out of sequence. It is a spinning like action.

In a good swing the upper rear leg will initially be seen to rotate as the lower rear leg and rear foot serve as a base to support that action.

Bug squishing is a result of not using the rear leg properly within the sequence.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Tried it out this afternoon. Huge boost in bat speed. Swing felt effortless. 30oz bat felt like I was swinging a 15oz bat!

But...when all was said and done...I think I will be going back to holding on to the skinny part, and hitting the ball with the fat part. :p

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
don't mean to open a can of worms but.
Is the Uptick Drill = Turn the Barrel ???

Yes. uptick drill is working on turning the barrel quickly rearward, sending the bat into the arc behind the hitter.
Translating forum talk: Tewks has said there is more to it then that, that just the uptick drill leaves something out. TM has said basically prove it. IMO it isn't anything us observers, parents, coaches, etc should concern themselves with at this time. UNLESS, Tewks, your ebook is on bat drag, then you better tighten up your laces. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06