Still struggling to work through drive mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Pushbacks will really help her get over her drive toe instead of pushing with the bottom of her foot. We did them solid for about 2 months and to this day she still breaks them out if she is pushing slow or has a lazy stride knee. Can't find the lag- pushbacks. They are a great remedy for a multitude of issues. Java's the man!

Post a vid of your daughter doing them to ensure she does them correctly (mine wasn't in the beginning) and then go to town. Your kid will grow to love them because they feel powerful.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Improved strength compliments good mechanics. Improved strength is a good thing, but will not fix deficiencies.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Improved strength compliments good mechanics. Improved strength is a good thing but, will not fix deficiencies.

I do agree that improved strength does not lead to good mechanics. I also believe that a lack of strength can prevent one from achieving good mechanics. Adequate strength is a requirement for proper mechanics.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I also believe that a lack of strength can prevent one from achieving good mechanics.

I would say that a lack of strength will prevent one from getting the most out of good mechanics. My main two pitchers have decent mechanics, but what is limiting them now is.... is.... (here it comes, Javasource) ...... is ...... CORE STRENGTH!!! We're going to work on that, as these two pitchers lack core strength and it is likely what's holding them back from reaching the full potential with their current decent mechanics.

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
Pushbacks will really help her get over her drive toe instead of pushing with the bottom of her foot. We did them solid for about 2 months and to this day she still breaks them out if she is pushing slow or has a lazy stride knee. Can't find the lag- pushbacks. They are a great remedy for a multitude of issues. Java's the man!

Post a vid of your daughter doing them to ensure she does them correctly (mine wasn't in the beginning) and then go to town. Your kid will grow to love them because they feel powerful.

Can you explain how you performed these?

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
My explanation would be pretty meager and no doubt get you heading down the wrong path. The drive mechanics sticky thread has very detailed video's which should answer most questions. Just as important are the IR threads by Boardmember which helps teach you to throw the ball.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Managed to get a couple work outs in with pushbacks (clips below). I know there's a lot of room for improvement, so please guide us. ;)

072615-Bailypushback-side.gif
072615-Bailypushback-back.gif

One thing I know is bad is the gym step forward. I can seem to get her to drive it back like a cat pawing at something...

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Hopefully Java will respond.

I think it's easier to see the foot orientation during running if you film it on a driveway or sidewalk. Might also try from in front of her (i.e., have her sprint toward you).

Further, in her push-back drill, I don't think she's jumping, but rather taking a big step forward. Her drag foot doesn't really pull away before she lands. I think if she were actually jumping forward more off her push leg that the back foot would be pulling away a bit more prior to landing.

Temp.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2013
Her back leg/ push leg never straightens out before the front foot lands so its just a big step and drag the back foot behind her. My guess is from the front you see the side of her thigh and shoe when the stride leg comes out. My DD does the same thing and is a lefty :) I keep telling her to push to get open. The arm circle will naturally get her open after she pushes off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45