Sticking to the Team approach (RANT)...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Most 18 gold programs have strict grade requirements as well as behavior requirements, and will drop a player if their grades slip that low. Other then that HS "softball" doesn't really matter ;)

-W

we aren't an 18U gold team, but my daughters 1st yr 16U team has Behavior and grade requirements. Grades are not an issue, 11 out of 12 players are in advanced Academics and all 12 are on their HS schools honor role. Also, 5 of those 12 are in the top 10 of their class's 6 of the others are in the top 20. So the coach has had no issues there, but 2 years ago he released 2 players for behavior issues. 1 was for comment to an umpire during a game and the other was for her repeated disrespect to her parents, which happened over and over in front of the team. Both were cancer anyhow and the squad is much better with out them. On a side note, both of those players have been on 2 different teams since moving along.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Boy, I just re-read my post and it does look like I called you stupid. That wasn't my intention. Let me try, again.

My DD over threw as a teen and I was uneducated. I loved seeing her pitch, just like you love seeing your DD pitch. But, I had to learn from it. My daughter's health should have been more important, than her stats. Plus, she was doing it for me, not for herself.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Amy Newtson

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Lozza , are you getting the idea as to why we refer to them as "Crazy Daddies"? And, note that I am a "former Crazy Daddy".

Nov 29, 2009
Lozza , are you getting the idea as to why we refer to them as "Crazy Daddies"? And, note that I am a "former Crazy Daddy".

No... No... No... You're STILL a crazy daddy!!! You've just matured and learned to keep it under control like all of the other senior members who've been through the mill. Me included!!!! :)

Jul 26, 2010
we aren't an 18U gold team, but my daughters 1st yr 16U team has Behavior and grade requirements. Grades are not an issue, 11 out of 12 players are in advanced Academics and all 12 are on their HS schools honor role. Also, 5 of those 12 are in the top 10 of their class's 6 of the others are in the top 20. So the coach has had no issues there, but 2 years ago he released 2 players for behavior issues. 1 was for comment to an umpire during a game and the other was for her repeated disrespect to her parents, which happened over and over in front of the team. Both were cancer anyhow and the squad is much better with out them. On a side note, both of those players have been on 2 different teams since moving along.

Good point, I think all programs at the HS age should have this requirement. I check report cards for my 12u kids, and while I haven't booted any off the team, I do sit them out for "study halls" if they're falling behind.

I've seen organizations at the 16 and 18 gold level remove kids from their programs for all sorts of behavioral issues, and rightly so. From obvious poor decisions like smoking at a tournament or gossiping in the bathroom to as subtle as giving the stinkeye to an umpire.

These things matter way more then playing time in games, IMHO.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sparky--it is funny, but I do read some of this stuff and think, "Wow...that sounds a lot like something I said."

Nov 29, 2009
What was your DD typical innings workload in HS?

Freshman year shared circle time with another very talented freshman and a fair soph pitcher playing JV. She shared the tough games with the other freshman. The soph got the easy games. Innings: 49 K's: 90 BB:17

Soph year on varsity: Same 3 pitcher combo. Innings: 67 K's: 62 BB:14 ERA: 0.73. Had maybe one cupcake game. Shared tough games with other talented soph. Jr got the easy games.

Junior year. Same 3 pitcher combo. Innings: 117.1 K's:138 BB: 37 ERA: 0.36 Had an outstanding year and dominated all season long. Got EVERY tough opponent. During the post season run she threw a 2 hitter, no-hitter and 1 hitter with 27 K's against some very tough teams.

Senior year. Shared circle time with other talented pitcher. Had a very average junior as the third arm. Innings: 72 K's: 91 BB: 33 ERA: 1.36. The other pitcher stepped up her game after not pitching as much as she wanted to the previous year. They split the innings. Junior got the few cupcake games.

During her varsity playing time she may have gotten 2 or 3 cupcake games in the three year period. Honestly, I can't remember if she finished them or not. The conference she played in is the toughest conference in the state every year. If there was an easy game on the schedule the #3 got it. She and the other pitcher sat. The coach didn't believe in stats padding.

Watched one of my students throw a cupcake game the other day. She threw a perfect game. Had one ball bunted into play the whole game. She K'd the rest of the hitters. I asked her if she liked it. She said not really... It was too easy. She thought the other pitcher on the team should have had some of the innings. She needed the work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish