Sticking to the Team approach (RANT)...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
Got the general concensus.

I apologize if I have offended anyone.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
So let me get this straight.

Your daughter was told before the game that she would pitch the first five digs. The reason for this is so the 2nd pitcher gets some game time. This is exactly what happens. And you're upset?

I'm sorry your daughter didn't get the chance for a perfect game, but let's be real here. This is not an individual sport here, it's a team sport. It was against a lesser team, who they were smashing. It wouldn't have meant that much.

Mar 25, 2011
I'd have to agree. Although it might have been neat to see a complete perfect game in the books for her, coach told her going in what he needed from her. She (you) should be proud of her performance and call it a complete game for yourselves. My question for you is, if the other pitchers would have lost the lead, would he have raced to get her back on the mound?

I think his move to pull her after 4 innings is wise. It develops other pitchers and keeps your daughter from overthrowing in the season. Ubaldo Jimeniz loved his no hitter, but he chased too many deep inning games early in the season and lost alot of steam 3/4 of the way through the season. Perhaps look at it that way for your dd.

Great job on the game for her btw. Sounds like a dominant performance.

Nov 29, 2009
Opinions?

WOW... Ok.. They are playing a weak team that is a half-step above rec ball. DD buzzes through them with what sounds like almost no effort at all and is pulled according to the plan that was laid out BEFORE the first pitch was thrown. I have news for you. While on paper it may have been a perfect game. To those watching it was a good pitcher overpowering a weak team, not a prefect game. When your DD does it in the post season against a quality opponent come back and thump your chest all you want. We'll all give her the deserved congrats she earned.

My DD had a few of those during HS. I never counted them as no-hitters or perfect games. Neither did she. In fact after a couple of them she commented that she was wondering why the coach didn't get the #3 pitcher some innings. It sure sounds like the coach knew exactly what was going to happen and planned to get both of his/her pitchers some easy innings. Kudos to the coach for not doing what would have been easy.

As Lozza pointed out. This is a team game and it takes everyone on the team to go deep into the season and the post season. I've done the same thing with my pitchers to get the #3 innings in games we're winning.

Piece of advice. Keep a firm grip on the tongue and the season will go much better for your daughter. Congratulate her for a strong outing and get her ready to face the quality opponents on the schedule.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You see some things on here that people actually take the time to think about and then post, and it makes you wonder what they say in the heat of the moment.

So basically you are upset about a coach who put out a plan to involve more players and then stuck to it. Sorry, but you are wrong on this one.

My son is a senior and for the past 2 seasons was the starting goalkeeper for his HS soccer team. The team ended the season with the school's record for shutouts. In about 4 of them my son was pulled mid way through the second half to give his back up some more playing time. Because of this these were considered shared shutouts and because of this my son didn't get the school record for shutouts. My son thought this was the absolutely right thing to do as it prepared the other kid for next year. Honestly as a proud daddy I was not happy about it, but I understood that it wasn't personal and it was to develop the team. So I never said a word about it, because I knew it was the right thing. You need to step back and consider if this was personal to hold your DD down (and you know it wasn't because it was preplanned) and then forget about it.

Jan 23, 2009
WOW... Ok.. They are playing a weak team that is a half-step above rec ball. DD buzzes through them with what sounds like almost no effort at all and is pulled according to the plan that was laid out BEFORE the first pitch was thrown. I have news for you. While on paper it may have been a perfect game. To those watching it was a good pitcher overpowering a weak team, not a prefect game. When your DD does it in the post season against a quality opponent come back and thump your chest all you want. We'll all give her the deserved congrats she earned.

My DD had a few of those during HS. I never counted them as no-hitters or perfect games. Neither did she. In fact after a couple of them she commented that she was wondering why the coach didn't get the #3 pitcher some innings. It sure sounds like the coach knew exactly what was going to happen and planned to get both of his/her pitchers some easy innings. Kudos to the coach for not doing what would have been easy.

As Lozza pointed out. This is a team game and it takes everyone on the team to go deep into the season and the post season. I've done the same thing with my pitchers to get the #3 innings in games we're winning.

Piece of advice. Keep a firm grip on the tongue and the season will go much better for your daughter. Congratulate her for a strong outing and get her ready to face the quality opponents on the schedule.

OK, based on my rant I hear what you all are saying, however some additional info...

My DD and the other pitcher are, up to this point, alternating starts. Although since my DD is getting the next game against a real oppoent, the coach is matching up against the competition. Through 5 games, including this one, my DD has 18 innings and the other pitcher 17 innings. to this point, there is no work load issue and there is not likely going to be a workload issue for the rest of the season.

The team has 4 off-days until the next game. My DD last game action in the circle was on 4/12.

Both my DD and the other pitcher are Juniors, there is no Froshmen or Sophomore to develop on the team. The JV pitcher (Sophomore) was on the bench for this game (there was no JV game) and there was no plan to let her come in for development.

My relationship to the coach is nearly non-existent, I have spoken cordially to him about once per season for a few minutes. I do my best to let coaches coach and run their teams, HS and travel, and let my DD manage her team relationships.

My DD is a 3rd year Varsity player and has an excellent relationship with the coach.

In the previous game, the split of innings was also discussed, however the other pitcher went the 7 (she had a shutout through 4, my DD warmed up but was not brought in).

IMO, Baseball and Softball are not entirely team games and previlance of stats in both games support that statement. The only way to post 200 K's on your resume to to minimally throw 66 2/3 innings.

The D1 committed pitchers in our area routinely post 5 inning no-hitters and perfect games because they are allowed to finish the game (and market themselves, yes no one cares about HS ball, right). The number 2's on those teams with elite pitchers get their games as starters and when the 2's are competative they complete their games win or lose.

Also going deep in the post season requires pitchers who are not only performing well but can finish, not just 7, but 8, 9 or 10 innings. Pitching beyond HS requires skill and the ability to handle workload.

What was your DD typical innings workload in HS?
Did she have the opportunity to rack up a lot of K's?
Did she ever get a cupcake game start to finish?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
That new information doesn't change my opinion in the slightest.

IMO, Baseball and Softball are not entirely team games and previlance of stats in both games support that statement. The only way to post 200 K's on your resume to to minimally throw 66 2/3 innings.

False. Having a good battery is very important. Without that, it gets very, very hard. However, pitcher is still only one player out of nine on the field. It's also incredibly rare for a player to throw a perfect game in higher competition.

You're coming off as a perfect example of a crazy daddy here.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
v\What was your DD typical innings workload in HS?

My DD pitched all of them, plus her summer schedule. Then, add in basketball.
She was done my her junior year, when she developed an impingement in her shoulder. I learned a lot by being stoopid. (In fact, I was a lot like you, at one time.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish