Sticking to the Team approach (RANT)...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
Holy Moley! I am guessing you watch the games far far away
from the other parents

No, I generally sit on the bleachers with everyone else.

Actually, the RF's grandmother who was sitting next to me first voiced the question of why DD was being taken out of a no-no.

Jan 23, 2009
My DD pitched all of them, plus her summer schedule. Then, add in basketball.
She was done my her junior year, when she developed an impingement in her shoulder. I learned a lot by being stoopid. (In fact, I was a lot like you, at one time.)

My DD has 65 innings total pitching HS Varsity over the last 2 and a fraction seasons. (She was the #2, and the starting CF, there was no whining regarding innings from her or me)
She is a single sport athlete.
Although I do not have innings total handy, she was 8-5-1 in last summer's travel. (~75 innings)
In terms of her health, I am not being "stoopid".

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
OK, based on my rant I hear what you all are saying, however some additional info...

My DD and the other pitcher are, up to this point, alternating starts. Although since my DD is getting the next game against a real oppoent, the coach is matching up against the competition. Through 5 games, including this one, my DD has 18 innings and the other pitcher 17 innings. to this point, there is no work load issue and there is not likely going to be a workload issue for the rest of the season.

The team has 4 off-days until the next game. My DD last game action in the circle was on 4/12.

Both my DD and the other pitcher are Juniors, there is no Froshmen or Sophomore to develop on the team. The JV pitcher (Sophomore) was on the bench for this game (there was no JV game) and there was no plan to let her come in for development.

My relationship to the coach is nearly non-existent, I have spoken cordially to him about once per season for a few minutes. I do my best to let coaches coach and run their teams, HS and travel, and let my DD manage her team relationships.

My DD is a 3rd year Varsity player and has an excellent relationship with the coach.

In the previous game, the split of innings was also discussed, however the other pitcher went the 7 (she had a shutout through 4, my DD warmed up but was not brought in).

IMO, Baseball and Softball are not entirely team games and previlance of stats in both games support that statement. The only way to post 200 K's on your resume to to minimally throw 66 2/3 innings.

The D1 committed pitchers in our area routinely post 5 inning no-hitters and perfect games because they are allowed to finish the game (and market themselves, yes no one cares about HS ball, right). The number 2's on those teams with elite pitchers get their games as starters and when the 2's are competative they complete their games win or lose.

Also going deep in the post season requires pitchers who are not only performing well but can finish, not just 7, but 8, 9 or 10 innings. Pitching beyond HS requires skill and the ability to handle workload.

What was your DD typical innings workload in HS?
Did she have the opportunity to rack up a lot of K's?
Did she ever get a cupcake game start to finish?

Really, not a team game? Take the other 8 players off the field and see how your DD does in the circle. players make sacrifices for each other all the time, It most certainly is a team game. You rattled of these statisics very quick, sounds like a main focus of yours. Individual accolades should be a result of team success.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Next thing I'll be hearing that HS ball matters to college coaches. I just about heard everything else!

-W

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Funny, I am just reading this now. I had a similar situation this weekend. Our first TB tournament as a team. DD has a perfect game through 4 innings Sunday morning, against much weaker team. Without even thinking about it, # 3 pitcher gets the nod for inning 5. Told DD I was going to save her arm for later, if needed. Not even a dirty look from her. She came right out and supported #3.

Jul 26, 2010
Yeah, but what do those two things have to do with Softball?

Most 18 gold programs have strict grade requirements as well as behavior requirements, and will drop a player if their grades slip that low. Other then that HS "softball" doesn't really matter ;)

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish