Stealing/recruiting players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If the player finds a better fit with players/playing time/team then I encourge them. If they want to try one of the true travel teams in larger town go for it with full support. If they leave for or get a chance to play with a team that may get them college expouser and higher level training I would call them crazy for not going. These two reasons will give them a place to return if it don't work out.

Very true.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Mtnbama post should be stickied. Lots of truth in it. :)

But here's six things I learned:
1. Players are going to leave. Always. So get over it.

We has some newer coaches in our org this year. I put it this way "We don't own the players. The only player you own and control which team they are on is the ones living in your house. Parents will do what they believe is best for their kid - they'll come back if the grass isn't greener for them or maybe they wont (and sometimes that is a good thing).

2. Don't try to pretend to your parents and players that player switching doesn't happen. Be up front with them at the end of each fall and spring season

And talk to the parents of players you want to return about the following season through the season. "I want your daughter back, this is our plans, etc, etc"

3. Don't burn any bridges, because if you really offer a better situation, they'll be back.

Too true. Take the high road. Be the one to say "Hi how are you" when you see them next. Always keep the door open if you would take them back. One player came back to one of my teams after two seasons away when I said to their parents "I always loved your daughter at first" and it turned out she wasn't getting time at that position in her new team.

4. Since players always leave, you need to always be preparing to find and recruit new players.

5. Build a team that players and parents want to be a part of. Have great practices. Build team chemistry. Play a challenging, but appropriate schedule. Have a team that plays hard and has fun. NOTE: Just to be clear, even if you have these things, some players will still leave. But these are things that help you recruit their replacements.

In addition - and something we added this year - we now have a GUEST PLAYER POLICY. "

"We bring in GUEST PLAYERS when we need them because we are short players or pitching/catching. These Guest players will be treated exactly like every other player on the team and that may include playing elimination games in front of our regulars if warrented. This allows us to easily get guest players when needed (which means we CAN play, out reputation as a team increases with other teams and also means our players are treated the same when they go guest play for someone else."

Although not stated this also means guest players regularly become permanent team members in future seasons or we have opened up opportunities for our players to guest on weekends we are not playing. We also have a great reputation in all areas mentioned which is why when I need a guest player the first player available that we call always says YES, players on the move often approach us for roster spots and other coaches/teams often recommend us as a place to try out with if they cannot accommodate a player on their roster. I know coaches who can't get anyone when they need someone. Hell, I know travel organizations who can't hold a tournament at their home fields because everyone hates them.

6. Harshest truth of them all -- the best way to keep good players is to get rid of the bad players. The reason that good players leave teams is to get away from the bad players.

I'd change this a bit. The best way to keep good players is to get rid of bad parents as well as players who are not committed/up to the level of play. NO PLAYER is worth a bad parent in the long run. I want good player/good parents across the whole team.

There is always two sides to every story. As others have pointed out if your #4 pitcher every wants to improve and is 100% set on being a pitcher she SHOULD leave, she need to find an organization where she can get as close to 50% of the circle time as possible, the only way she can improve is to pitch. Now if it is a top level team and #1 and #2 are seniors maybe there are exceptions to be made but not many.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
After long consideration I decided that the differences of opinion between the HC and I (AC at the time) were too much for me to tolerate. He was very arrogant and closed minded on everything. He said that I was an idiot when I introduced IR method to our pitchers and told everyone that he'd forgotten more about batting than I knew, despite the fact he would have the girls extending their hands all the way out to start a swing???? (stupid crap like that) When I told him I was leaving and why, I told the entire team with their parents present that I was starting a new team and if anyone wanted a fresh start to call me. Over half the team came with me. Despite the fact I told him in advance and he was present when I addressed the team. I was still labeled as a thief or snake whatever. I only want what's best for my dd and her teammates. By the way, the only girls I've ever lost so far...were the ones I had to cut due to a lack of effort and attitude issues.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
After long consideration I decided that the differences of opinion between the HC and I (AC at the time) were too much for me to tolerate. He was very arrogant and closed minded on everything. He said that I was an idiot when I introduced IR method to our pitchers and told everyone that he'd forgotten more about batting than I knew, despite the fact he would have the girls extending their hands all the way out to start a swing???? (stupid crap like that) When I told him I was leaving and why, I told the entire team with their parents present that I was starting a new team and if anyone wanted a fresh start to call me. Over half the team came with me. Despite the fact I told him in advance and he was present when I addressed the team. I was still labeled as a thief or snake whatever. I only want what's best for my dd and her teammates. By the way, the only girls I've ever lost so far...were the ones I had to cut due to a lack of effort and attitude issues.

What happened to the girls who stayed? Did that team survive?

If the two halves can build separate teams and be happy, then it was a good thing. If you broke up a team after families had invested money and left some players orphaned, I can see where there would be hard feelings.

In fact, even if the original team was able to rebuild, but at a level much less than the parents bargained for, I can see hard feelings there, too. I don't want to judge what happened without being a part of it, but I don't think I could've done this unless I felt it was in the best interest of all the players on the original team, not just my daughter and her current teammates. Hopefully it was. Sounds like the coach was indeed inept.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
As far as the original team... they did recruit some girls and are still kicking along, but very poorly. FYI, Im also an umpire. I was calling the field at a tournament right after this all happened. My team wasnt able to play, so I worked that weekend. My old team was there and I was working their game! Too funny!!! The HC was flipping out, he went to the director and demanded a replacement blue. He didnt get one, so I stayed. All the girls were all smiles and hugs towards me (parents too) but the game was horrible. It was one of the worst beatings Ive ever seen. It was like 30-0 in the 2nd inning. I called the game completely unbiased and fair. But he wont even look at me still to this day if I see him out.

Sep 14, 2011
I have actually heard a coach tell a girl at a tournament that when she got tired of losing to let him know, that he had a uniform for her. So in my neck of the woods (AR), it's very common.

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
Great point Marriad on Guest Players. What you stated is essentially my pick-up player policy, which outlines as follows:

1. We carry 12 players on the roster to, among other things, help ensure that we don't need to pick-up players when we have injuries or absences.

2. However, there are times when we may need to pick-up players. The two most likely scenarios -- (1) we're short a pitcher or catcher. We're not going into a tourney with only one catcher, and I don't want to go into a tourney with only two pitchers. So we will pick up players to help with that specific situation. (2) we only have 9 players for a tourney -- we'll always pick up at least one if we find ourselves in this situation.

3. When we're looking for pick up players, we're looking for the very best players available. We're not just looking for warm bodies -- though history has shown that at the last minute, that's what we might end up with.

4. If we have to pick up a player, then that player is all in, and we'll treat them as if they have always been on the team. We'll use them in a way to maximize their ability to contribute. If they can hit clean-up, they'll hit clean-up. They'll play in the field. The goal is for us to play as many games as possible, and we'll use them to help us do that. On the other hand, if they are not someone who is going to be contributor, but just a safety net, we'll do our best to give them an at bat, or an inning or two, just to reward them for coming out and being there for us.

5. Pick-up players don't pay to play -- they are doing us a favor. Second -- if you are the player who is missing and requiring us to pick up a player - -then we'll need you to loan your uniform to the pick up player (assuming that there is a match in size)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild