Roster Size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Gonna start adding 'ed to words...

Pattar'ed 😁
Example in a sentence...
You have been Pattar'ed.

Jul 31, 2015
DD's team runs the age=roster size game and so far every season there is a casualty or two after fall. She is 18U and there are 18 girls on the team with 2 PO during fall season. Her team plays mostly showcases in the fall however her coach does not subscribe to the "everyone bats" philosophy. He may bat 12 max but usually 11. So there are usually 5/6 girls (not including P) that will possibly rotate at the end of the lineup but won't start. He does switch out players on defense every inning but if a player isn't in the batting order they still aren't happy. DD payed her dues last fall season on the team and I will admit we were one of the families thinking about leaving after fall - but DD stuck with it and in the summer cemented her place as a valuable hitter and he rarely takes her out of the lineup now. It does suck for the girls who don't get to bat on a regular basis though.

Yeah, my DD was on a team of 26 once. We were told it would be split into two teams, but they lied. She was not a starter. It was misery.

Ideally, the non-starters are POs, COs, utility players that can go anywhere in a pinch, or kids who are there only half the time because they play multiple sports or have other outside commitments.

Oct 16, 2020
You will most likely loose players at the end of each year.

My DD’s (currently 14U, pitcher) organization tries to keep the roster low, 10 – 12, so everyone gets plenty of playing time on Saturdays and during scrimmages / friendlies. It’s great when everyone is healthy (injuries or illnesses) or not on vacation. But this has posed many challenges since our pitchers and catchers are also position players and no one wants to rest. My DD’s team was exhausted at the end of the summer and we had a pitching injury so we were down to 2. At times guest players were brought in but the parents of the bottom players were still frustrated with the lack of playing time.

So this is what I’ve always seen.

Again, you will probably loose players at the end of each year. Unless the parents are onboard with the program and see results and fairness in playing time based on skill and attitude. But sometimes parents just want their kids to play even on low end teams for playing time. Nothing wrong with that either.

If they are not in the top 3/4 of the lineup and playing every inning, the parents are never happy. Even when the girls are.

You need more pitching then you think. Having a 1, a 2 and a 3 is not enough on a small team. I’d recommend at least 2 3’s and at least 3 catchers a 1, 2 and 3.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478