Stealing/recruiting players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It's too bad because I truly believe we would have been one of the best teams in the East!

Heck, if y'all could walk on the field and point to first base, you're already one of the best in the east. Most of their batters never make it that far. :p

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
IMO players are always going to leave at every age group. Some are recruited away, some leave due to bad coaching or "Daddy Ball" and some leave because of poor players. However, there is another reason also. Organizational politics. Our TB team last year disbanded due to this reason.

Oct 10, 2011
Heck, if y'all could walk on the field and point to first base, you're already one of the best in the east. Most of their batters never make it that far. :p

That cuts real deep. I read that in church, so I had to say a little prayer against you:)

Nov 14, 2008
Parents didnt give me a reason, and I dont fault them for doing what they felt is right for their dd. The problem I have is this same org contacted my players last year as a 10u and now they went after my girls again this fall in 12u. The girl they took was my #4 pitcher but with her going to my pitching coach she has been improving and couldve moved up the list. She was definately a decent player. The other problem is this team played in 1 tourney this fall, went 0-4. They also gave up 49 runs and scored 1. So not a good team and they obviously need better players but go find them on your own or produce them yourself. Kind of like I did.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Parents didnt give me a reason, and I dont fault them for doing what they felt is right for their dd. The problem I have is this same org contacted my players last year as a 10u and now they went after my girls again this fall in 12u. The girl they took was my #4 pitcher but with her going to my pitching coach she has been improving and couldve moved up the list. She was definately a decent player. The other problem is this team played in 1 tourney this fall, went 0-4. They also gave up 49 runs and scored 1. So not a good team and they obviously need better players but go find them on your own or produce them yourself. Kind of like I did.

Sounds like your #4 pitcher wanted to get more circle time and left your team to go to a weaker one where that could happen. Makes sense to me. But for you to be upset enough to start a thread on this here at DFP because her best interests don't match yours seems problematic to me. At 10U, 12U and even 14U, shouldn't player development be the top priority?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We had a pretty decent fall season going 20-3 but still these few girls were persuaded to leave.

You stated that your team was 20-3. You stated that another team was 0-4 and was outscored 49-1. That's the only information you chose to reveal about the two teams (except that one recruits and the other doesn't). It's understandable to be proud of winning, but it makes me wonder if you aren't overrating the attractiveness of a team w/ a great W-L record. The only thing that a 20-3 record tells me is that your team is much better than the teams you've played. I don't consider that good or bad by itself. I'm more interested in who you are playing, and whether your schedule is giving them the kind of challenge that allows them to develop as quickly as possible. There was a thread here a few months back in which a poster asked readers to rank 10 different qualities of a travel team, what would make a travel team attractive, etc. Winning ranked near the bottom, if not dead last.

Nov 14, 2008
Im not a straight tournament team, but we play alot of tournaments along with our travel league. PLAYING TIME must be split under the bylaws of our organization. So therefore she got same amount playing time. Like I said I dont fault parents for doing what they felt was right by their dd. Just didnt think that recruiting would come so early.

May 13, 2012
I posted on this earlier in another thread. My team is a low B/high C team with the intent to get the girls more playing time along with rec and hopefully on the high school teams. I know it is what it is and coachs recruite from other teams. I just don't agree with going after a player on another team out of the blue. My dad told me that "If a woman will leave her husband/boy friend for you then she will probably leave you for another man so is that the kind of woman you want". Just replace woman with player and I take the same approach with the players on the team.

If they suddenly leave the team for another beacause of some fancy sales pitch fine have fun and I wish you well, probably won't take you back though.

If the player finds a better fit with players/playing time/team then I encourge them. If they want to try one of the true travel teams in larger town go for it with full support. If they leave for or get a chance to play with a team that may get them college expouser and higher level training I would call them crazy for not going. These two reasons will give them a place to return if it don't work out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283