Staying Relaxed and calm.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Any mistakes. I think it was more of a general comment on my "more hitting, less instruction" approach, which I agree probably won't work for everyone. He
has had qualms with me saying this sort of thing previously, which like I said, I can understand where he is coming from. Thing is this isn't a 12 YO girl or even a 10 YO
girl, it is an 8 YO....

I took pattar's comment to be more about clemenslee1 keeping up the work with his DD to continue her development, not advocating less instruction. I guess we interpreted it differently.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Remind her to focus, not calm down.

As others have said, telling her to calm down is just going to make her think about how she's nervous (excited, whatever).

What you really want is for her to maintain focus. Perhaps getting to think "I have to focus" will give her a positive "something" to do and not a negative "something" to not do.

That said, I have a girl who gets super excited/wound up at times. I just have to get her attention and do the two hands "relax" motion and she knows to just step out of the box, take a deep breath, and refocus. It helps her to just take that extra moment to breathe.

Jun 8, 2016
I took pattar's comment to be more about clemenslee1 keeping up the work with his DD to continue her development, not advocating less instruction. I guess we interpreted it differently.

You responded to my description of what I meant...;). In this case, I am not sure anything more than more reps with live balls is necessary.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You responded to my description of what I meant...;). In this case, I am not sure anything more than more reps with live balls is necessary.

I have seen parents/hitters take this approach ... and 3years later the hitter's swing looks remarkably the same as it looked 3yrs back.

If you want to make a change, then you need to extend an effort towards making a change. Change seldom occurs from doing the same thing.

That said, there is a lot to be said for the notion of building the athlete first.

Jun 8, 2016
I have seen parents/hitters take this approach ... and 3years later the hitter's swing looks remarkably the same as it looked 3yrs back.

If you want to make a change, then you need to extend an effort towards making a change. Change seldom occurs from doing the same thing.

That said, there is a lot to be said for the notion of building the athlete first.

Not disagreeing with the bold, but in this particular case (8YO hitter), with this particular issue (looking/feeling anxious with a moving ball) then I would tend to think
more reps would improve the situation. Now it is possible that the hitter is starting too late and this is causing the "anxious/panicky" look to the swing, in which case yes, some instruction towards this end would
be useful. However the OP made no mention of this in his post. A video of what he is seeing would be useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi