Stance question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
This is one area that we instruct girls different than boys. Girls most Bend at the waist first and then soften the knees next.Anatomic Differences
Females have wider hips than males, which increase the angle on the knee joint. This increases stress on the ACL, especially during landing and cutting movements.

A simple way to see it is too have a female stand up straight with their feet together and take a bat and place the bat head vertically against their knee and see the angle of the bat handle pointing away from them. Now repeat it doing it with a male and you will see there is less angle.
This angle is known as the Q angle and it is because the female hip is wider. So be careful when you look at males doing something than try to have a female do the same thing.

May 12, 2008
They should both get their anterior tilt of the pelvis first and then then bend the knees to accomodate just as you teach the girls imo. Too many of both end up bending the knees and squatting like, well like something, and then execute the swing with bent knees and a vertical torso.

Sep 14, 2009
I teach a fairly wide stance rotational with some Lau extension for good measure to most baseball players because of the downward direction of a pitched ball and a linear swing with feet spread to approximately shoulder width and straight up stance with a negative and positive motion triggering the hips and hands with a top hand drive through the ball it gives the softball hitter many more intersection points and leads to line drives and much more hard contact. Way fewer homeruns but damn few players should be power hitters willing to trade non productive outs for home runs. A few NCAA D1 championships have been won by rotational teams and success from others but the most success has come from linear teams like Sue Enquists UCLA teams or Mike Candreas Arizona who are hard to argue with for success in hitting a softball. He like many rotational instructors are selling their expertise and would like them to be universal, I do not believe the pitch plane is remotely the same and neither should the swing plane and a pitched softball has much more movement at an earlier age. Competant 14 year old girls throw a drop, fastball , change and screw possibly a drop curve, curve or rise only the screw and rise are easily hit with a rotational swing because there is only one connecting intersection on the swing plane. If your daughter is a big kid with a lot of power possibly wide stance and rotation if not she is looking at a lot of pop ups, fly balls and strikeouts.

JIM HAYES

Last edited by a moderator:
May 12, 2008
Anyone want to cover all that? I'm tired of doing it. Suffice to say I disagree with pretty much all of it. Rotational, linear whatever. Swing like these girls. Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent

If you want to reference Mike and Sue you might double check that part where they say, on their new materials done with Right View, the MLB swing is the fp swing.

Jun 6, 2009
Anyone want to cover all that? I'm tired of doing it. Suffice to say I disagree with pretty much all of it. Rotational, linear whatever. Swing like these girls. Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent

If you want to reference Mike and Sue you might double check that part where they say, on their new materials done with Right View, the MLB swing is the fp swing.

Still wondering if its trolling or not. :confused:

May 12, 2008
Might be but someone new to the net discussions comes along every so often. It's good but the hundreth time I'm not as patient and helpful as good manners would dictate. My failing.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Mark let you handle that one. I disagree and know exactly what Don Slaught has taught Mike and Sue. We alll know Slaught and Epstein have had some very good disagreements. I work with a friend of Don's and Mike's so I pretty sure what they teach.

May 12, 2008
Yeah I don't have too many problems with Don's stuff. If someone wants to take a kid that way I don't have a lot of heartburn beyond saying don't let that rock skipping cue produce bat drag, use the MLB comparison clips and some of the drills but the exposition is not bad though some of the demonstrations are. Overall, it's one of the better offerings out there. Lau's interesting too and I should probably have read him more than I have. Probably should have watched Yeager's stuff by now too. Hudgens is the worst imo. I like RightView well before Epstein but neither addresses anterior tilt that I've seen. Mankin has some good points as far as he goes except for that top hand torque stuff.

Anyone remember what the difference in angle through the zone for bb vs fp? As I recall it was in the single digits but it wasn't much. Scott had that figure handy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877