Speed Variation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Don't remember much discussion recently about the importance of speed variation so thought I'd bring up the subject.
Now understand that what I am talking about is for more advanced pitchers......but it is an important concept to get a grip on early. Remember the old adage about "hitting is timing and pitching is upsetting timing".
IMO an accomplished pitcher will have four distinctively different speeds. I'll give an example of what those might be:

Dropball------63mph
Riseball-------58mph
Offspeed Curve-----50mph
Change up-----44mph

With a speed range like this and the four different pitches there will be very few batters that you don't have an answer for.
When is the right time to put some focus on this....always the big question. Advanced 16U pitchers should be working on this and definitely any pitcher thinking of a high level college career. Another plus is that some young ladies may not be destined to throw 70 mph, but they can be extremely effective with 63 mph and speed variation.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Rick,

I agree and tell my DD to never throw the same pitch twice to the batter in an at bat. Some of her coaches like to call the same pitch several times in an at bat, so the only thing she can do is vary the speed and location of that same pitch.

Have you ever heard of a 13 yo who throws her screw, rise, and drop faster than her fastball?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Rick,

I agree and tell my DD to never throw the same pitch twice to the batter in an at bat. Some of her coaches like to call the same pitch several times in an at bat, so the only thing she can do is vary the speed and location of that same pitch.

Have you ever heard of a 13 yo who throws her screw, rise, and drop faster than her fastball?

In doing the above, you're making a pitcher imminently more hittable by taking away pitches! For example, if a pitcher throws a change up, the batter KNOWS that the next pitch will NOT be a change up (or in your case, there won't be another change up that entire at bat). That's a huge advantage. Early in a game, throw 2 or 3 change ups in a row and observe the reaction - knowing that the change up potentially is in play on any/every pitch affects all subsequent at bats during the game.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
In doing the above, you're making a pitcher imminently more hittable by taking away pitches! For example, if a pitcher throws a change up, the batter KNOWS that the next pitch will NOT be a change up (or in your case, there won't be another change up that entire at bat). That's a huge advantage. Early in a game, throw 2 or 3 change ups in a row and observe the reaction - knowing that the change up potentially is in play on any/every pitch affects all subsequent at bats during the game.

I never said she doesn't throw the same type of pitch. I just don't see the value in throwing the same pitch, same location, and same speed to the same batter. The are scenarios where the same type of pitch makes sense as long as the coach is not riding it over and over again. And of course this goes out the window when you get into to 9 plus pitch at bats.

Feb 7, 2013
So what mechanics do you suggest to get less speed on the pitches? More skin on the ball, less internal rotation, etc. Also, would it not be advantageous to vary speeds within each pitch not just adjusting speeds by throwing a different type of pitch?

Jul 26, 2010
Great advice. To throw faster, learn to throw slower. Perception is everything here. Many coaches (hello Coach Candrea) have been fooled getting fireballers who throw at just one speed and then realize how fast batters adjust. It's been shown that 3mph is enough to disrupt a batters timing. Having 4 speeds in 3mph increments is very potent.

-W
-W

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I never said she doesn't throw the same type of pitch. I just don't see the value in throwing the same pitch, same location, and same speed to the same batter. The are scenarios where the same type of pitch makes sense as long as the coach is not riding it over and over again. And of course this goes out the window when you get into to 9 plus pitch at bats.

Shoot, I call pitches for my team and I have at times thrown the same pitch to a batter for all three or four at bats. If the batter can't hit it why throw something else? Sometimes too much thinking is bad.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Shoot, I call pitches for my team and I have at times thrown the same pitch to a batter for all three or four at bats. If the batter can't hit it why throw something else? Sometimes too much thinking is bad.

Agree...and if you have a PU that is giving your pitcher 2 balls outside (to any RH batter), why throw anything inside? Keep it simple (unless you have a Keilani Ricketts...:cool:)...

Jul 26, 2010
Agree...and if you have a PU that is giving your pitcher 2 balls outside (to any RH batter), why throw anything inside? Keep it simple (unless you have a Keilani Ricketts...:cool:)...

So true.

Sue Enquist now tells kids "Learn to foul off the outside pitch, there's no way you're hitting it hard where they call it today".

-W

The pluses and minuses in throwing several of the same pitches in a row: Plus----probably a weak hitter and she gets out...you win the game and sometimes you need to win to keep the confidence up; Minus----overall development of the pitcher is slowed. Especially when you know you can dominate a hitter or team, that is the best time to work on all your new stuff so that when you really need it (tough hitter/tough team)you can perform it. There is no substitute for live game action for development.....what you see in practice may not immediately transfer into the game.
Learning to be a PITCHER vs. being a Thrower may mean taking a few lumps along the way. Remember, this journey is a marathon not a sprint.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00