Speed Variation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Couple thoughts on this question. The word mechanics would give some the idea that you modify some of the large muscle movements in the pitching motion. It really comes down to the fingers!
1. The first and most natural key is that your fastest pitch (dropball) releases with the fingers directly behind the ball.....putting all the energy into the ball; other pitches such as riseball or curveball the fingers are not directly behind the ball...thus the energy is not efficiently directed into the ball. This simple fact will normally result in 3-4 mph drop in speed from the dropball.
2. The second item that will reduce speed is a tensing/paralyzing of the fingers.....remember, the fingers are the last transfer-er of energy into the ball. Pitches like the offspeed curve or change up work well because of this paralyzing effect.
3. An adjustment of the ball deeper into the hand/palm will help decrease speed also......this reduces the leverage that the fingers provide.

Next thoughts on varying speeds on the same pitch: Yes! It is great to have a curve and an offspeed curve; a rise and an offspeed rise; a drop and an offspeed drop, etc. I also feel that it is a huge advantage to have an offspeed version of your dominant pitch.
IMO, speed variation is more difficult for hitters to adjust to than ball movement, high speed or location.....now if you have them all you are a PITCHER.

So what mechanics do you suggest to get less speed on the pitches? More skin on the ball, less internal rotation, etc. Also, would it not be advantageous to vary speeds within each pitch not just adjusting speeds by throwing a different type of pitch?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Couple thoughts on this question. The word mechanics would give some the idea that you modify some of the large muscle movements in the pitching motion. It really comes down to the fingers!
1. The first and most natural key is that your fastest pitch (dropball) releases with the fingers directly behind the ball.....putting all the energy into the ball; other pitches such as riseball or curveball the fingers are not directly behind the ball...thus the energy is not efficiently directed into the ball. This simple fact will normally result in 3-4 mph drop in speed from the dropball.
2. The second item that will reduce speed is a tensing/paralyzing of the fingers.....remember, the fingers are the last transfer-er of energy into the ball. Pitches like the offspeed curve or change up work well because of this paralyzing effect.
3. An adjustment of the ball deeper into the hand/palm will help decrease speed also......this reduces the leverage that the fingers provide.

Next thoughts on varying speeds on the same pitch: Yes! It is great to have a curve and an offspeed curve; a rise and an offspeed rise; a drop and an offspeed drop, etc. I also feel that it is a huge advantage to have an offspeed version of your dominant pitch.
IMO, speed variation is more difficult for hitters to adjust to than ball movement, high speed or location.....now if you have them all you are a PITCHER.

Off-speed rise...... Now that's an interesting notion. Where would you pitch it to? Would it be kind of like a change-up (outside)?

An effective offspeed rise would be around 53--55 mph and can be thrown in or out. It really helps if the pitcher also has a fast riseball that is around 60 mph. It also helps if the pitcher has high spin rates on the offspeed rise....say 27--35 RPS.

Off-speed rise...... Now that's an interesting notion. Where would you pitch it to? Would it be kind of like a change-up (outside)?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
An effective offspeed rise would be around 53--55 mph and can be thrown in or out. It really helps if the pitcher also has a fast riseball that is around 60 mph. It also helps if the pitcher has high spin rates on the offspeed rise....say 27--35 RPS.

But shouldn't pitches that are slower generally be thrown outside and pitches that are faster be thrown inside?

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Shoot, I call pitches for my team and I have at times thrown the same pitch to a batter for all three or four at bats. If the batter can't hit it why throw something else? Sometimes too much thinking is bad.

Honest question. Do you call pitches because your catchers don't have the experience or because you believe you can do it better?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Green, Did you ignore the word "generally"? I didn't say "always". I'll bet inside pitches are, on average, thrown faster than outside pitches. This doesn't necessarily mean a pitcher never throws the heat outside or an offspeed inside.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Green, Did you ignore the word "generally"? I didn't say "always". I'll bet inside pitches are, on average, thrown faster than outside pitches. This doesn't necessarily mean a pitcher never throws the heat outside or an offspeed inside.

DR - I think you are betting right; however, my point is that you limit a pitcher's effectiveness as soon as you start creating and following general rules or patterns. IMO, the majority of the people calling pitches generally have little comprehension of what they are doing or what is even possible.

Go back to the very beginning and start with the premise that the objective is simple - getting the batter to be at least 1/4" vertically and 2" laterally off the sweet spot (and yes I know, a swing and a miss is preferred - just not realistic to expect a 21 K perfect game every outing). First, consider all the tools that a pitcher has in their tool box to accomplish that objective. Then consider the umpire. Then consider the game situation. Then consider the batter. Then call the pitch. Then repeat some 75-125 or so times.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Shoot, I call pitches for my team and I have at times thrown the same pitch to a batter for all three or four at bats. If the batter can't hit it why throw something else? Sometimes too much thinking is bad.

That is just giving the batter chances to make the adjustment to that pitch. Sooner or later they will make the necessary adjustment. Now, if you are dealing with sub par batters, I could see where that may work well. Around here, the hitters would take it to (or over) the fence if you give them too many chances to get it right.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
The pluses and minuses in throwing several of the same pitches in a row: Plus----probably a weak hitter and she gets out...you win the game and sometimes you need to win to keep the confidence up; Minus----overall development of the pitcher is slowed. Especially when you know you can dominate a hitter or team, that is the best time to work on all your new stuff so that when you really need it (tough hitter/tough team)you can perform it. There is no substitute for live game action for development.....what you see in practice may not immediately transfer into the game.
Learning to be a PITCHER vs. being a Thrower may mean taking a few lumps along the way. Remember, this journey is a marathon not a sprint.

Well put Rick.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207