Danger zone speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
This would typically result in a response from a certain poster..wonder if he will dare to challenge you 😝

I haven't moved from my position. Outside of having actual data your random isn't better than random chance. If it is a skill then let's quantify it.

May 23, 2014
I know someone else used this quote too earlier but, I too have asked a pitcher to slow down their velocity. But, in the right context!!! Many times pitchers try throwing the ball so hard that their pitches flatten out. It's called "overthrowing". And by taking just 10% off the pitch, they'll start to see the movement again.

Overthrowing is easy to do, it happens a lot when thing start to go wrong. A homerun hit, a defensive error, having a bad umpire, etc. Pitchers start to think if they throw harder and harder that will change things. It actually (usually) makes it worse. Slowing down, understanding that trying to throw harder is the worst thing is one of the hardest things a pitcher can do in the moment. It takes a great deal of mental discipline to step back, take a deep breath and not try to throw so hard.
I have read quite a bit about this. People using the phrase "throwing through the spin". I wonder if that could play into my original question. When a pitcher gets a nice jump in speed based on their hard work, I wonder if they throw a little differently, either enjoying the speed or just finding the timing to keep the spin going with the increase in speed?

May 17, 2012
I have read quite a bit about this. People using the phrase "throwing through the spin". I wonder if that could play into my original question. When a pitcher gets a nice jump in speed based on their hard work, I wonder if they throw a little differently, either enjoying the speed or just finding the timing to keep the spin going with the increase in speed?

I originally took your question with regard to a fastball. As others have pointed out adjusting your speed to your spin for movement pitches is beneficial.

For example, a "late break" is just a pitch in that you didn't spin fast enough or threw it too hard. There is no such thing as an actual "late break" even though batters will tell you differently.

May 17, 2012
I assume this statement assumes movement generated by Magnus forces..

Yeah, so it's always moving just not as much as you want but more than usual. To the batter, it appears as a "late break".

Related to the "riseball rising" I suppose...

Feb 24, 2022
Does she have a changeup/offspeed? If your fastball or rise is sitting at 62 and your changeup is 53-55, then that should be plenty of difference to keep hitters off balance. It's about sequencing your pitches to keep hitters off balance. Hitters will adjust to speed, be it 75mph or 55mph, don't let them adjust to when and where you will throw your pitches.

Obviously, it should be noted, all hitters aren't the same type of hitters. They all have strengths and weaknesses. You should be pitching them differently to begin with - location, speed, and spin.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I was never a believer in 'late break' but then I read something that changed my mind. As a pitch nears the plate it will be losing velocity and this will change the ball's trajectory, it will drop more. A curve with perfectly horizontal spin will lose Magnus force as it slows down, it's trajectory angles down more, and it will break less. A curve thrown with the spin axis tilted forward a little will get an increase in Magnus force as it slows down and it's trajectory angles down, it break more at the end.

One thing that I find useful is to think about spin pitches in terms of RPF rather than RPM"S. That's revolutions per foot vs revolutions per minute. A 50mph pitch thrown with the same RPM's as a 60mph pitch will have more RPF's and break more.

Jun 8, 2016
I was never a believer in 'late break' but then I read something that changed my mind. As a pitch nears the plate it will be losing velocity and this will change the ball's trajectory, it will drop more. A curve with perfectly horizontal spin will lose Magnus force as it slows down, it's trajectory angles down more, and it will break less. A curve thrown with the spin axis tilted forward a little will get an increase in Magnus force as it slows down and it's trajectory slows.

One thing that I find useful is to think about spin pitches in terms of RPF rather than RPM"S. That's revolutions per foot vs revolutions per minute. A 50mph pitch thrown with the same RPM's as a 60mph pitch will have more RPF's and break more.
I think @GunnerShotgun was saying that the notion that a ball only moves at the end is false..which is true but I am not sure that is what people are referring to when they say something has "late break" even though the actual words do seem to imply that 🤷‍♂️

Jun 19, 2020
I think it answers your question in a round about way. I will use DD as an example. First Fall 16U 58-62 DD had great spin was able to mix in change 48 range. Was able to control just about every team we faced. Grew some while counting to lift and saw a nice jump in speed. We worked all winter on velocity. Sophomore year of high school she would cruise between 64-67 change now 52. However I noticed she wasn't near as sharp with her location and some spins were off. It was easy to get away with in high school so we worked hard on getting it lined out before last summers travel season. The spin and location is much better now. The difference with the higher velocity is reaction time. The batter has to make a decision quickly, and can generate swing and misses. We used the phrase throwing through the spin this summer as I felt she was chasing radar numbers too much. In reality she had gotten stronger, taller and her timing was somewhat off. If its flat good hitting teams will make you pay, but I believe that to be the case at most levels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478