Speed and Geometry 101

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Simple Geometry
I aplogize if this has been addressed, but I did not go through the multitude of posts already posted.

Rather than go over all the things that contribute to speed, I will share something that I do with all my pitchers, regardless of ability. Measure their arms from the shoulder to the palm. Calculate the optimal circle and demonstrate the impact on speed when the pitcher does not optimize the circle. You will be amazed how much speed is lost when a pitcher does not optimize the rotation. It easily can be a loss of 10-15% off the top end with bad mechanics. Or simply, a pitcher with the potential for 60MPH could be throwing in the mid 50's with poor mechanics, all other things being equal.

A simple way to demonstrate this is to have them hold a ball in their hand with their arm fully extended. Have them rotate in small circles and try to throw the ball to you. Starting with a diameter of about a foot, even the strongest pitcher will not be able to throw the ball much farther than a few feet. Have them increase the circle diameter gradually to see the impact (make sure you back up accordingly as not to get surprised as the ball will take off commensurate with the diameter).

Another drill I do to illustrate the point is a simple game of crack the whip. This illustrates that it does not take a lot of rotation at the shoulder to create tremendous speed. I become the pivot point and rotate very slowly (or so it seems). Then you take the hand of the first girl and have her run around you, followed by several others. By the time the fifth girl joins in, she cannot keep up any longer. The point again is that the pivot point did not speed up. The only thing that changed was the distance from the pivot point, illustrating that good mechanics and opitimzing the circle may be as important as anything else you do. It also drives home a positive message that you can increase your speed and good methods overcome unfulfilled potential.

May 13, 2008
Rather than go over all the things that contribute to speed, I will share something that I do with all my pitchers, regardless of ability. Measure their arms from the shoulder to the palm. Calculate the optimal circle and demonstrate the impact on speed when the pitcher does not optimize the circle. You will be amazed how much speed is lost when a pitcher does not optimize the rotation. It easily can be a loss of 10-15% off the top end with bad mechanics. Or simply, a pitcher with the potential for 60MPH could be throwing in the mid 50's with poor mechanics, all other things being equal.

Interesting. What do you mean by optimizing the rotation? What is the optimal circle based on different measurements?

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
I wish I could post an excel spreadsheet. It makes it easier. Many pitchers at all levels have a tendency to extend their arms from their bodies, effectively reducing the optimal circumference. Lets make an assumption that the optimal radius from shoulder to palm is 24 inches. The equation 2pie r (two times the radius time pie, 3.14) calculates to 150.72 or the optimal circumference. The farther from the body (hips) the pitcher extends her arm, the greater loss of speed. For example a loss of 3 inches from the optimal (21 inche radius) plugged into the equation results in a reduction in fom over 150 inches to 131.88 or a reduction of 12%. If the pitcher is has the potential of 50 mph, this factor alone will bring their speed down to 44 mph. A huge difference just because of bad mechanics.

The game of crack the whip really drives this fact home as it vividly illustrates the impact of maximizing the circumference. Nothing changes to the pivot person's (rotation) speed. As more girls hold hands there comes a point where they can no longer run fast enough to keep up. It is easier than trying to explain the math.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sounds like he is reinventing the wheel.

A pitcher with the potential for 60MPH could be throwing in the mid 50's with poor mechanics, all other things being equal
Yes, of course.

You will be amazed how much speed is lost when a pitcher does not optimize the rotation.
You'll only be amazed if you don't understand teeter-totters or pitching.

I think you are saying, "The arm should be fully extended at the top of the circle" and "the circle should be as close to vertical as possible". And?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I didn't mean to offend you. Perhaps I am too gruff at times. My apologies.

Is your point that the arm should be fully extended at the top of the circle? Is it that the arm should stay in as close to the body as possible? Is it that the arm should be fully extended at release?

I'm trying to understand.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Maybe another way to explain & demonstrate is to have a girl stand at 45 degrees to her target but extend the pitching arm out to the side. Start with little circles and "pitch" from a small circle - no power. Next have the arm extended 45 degrees to the side and "pitch" using a medium circle - still little power. Next use the correct arm circle - bicep brushes ear and hand just barely misses side at release - good power especially when using arm whip. Even without arm whip the power is much greater because the circle the ball travels is bigger.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Gerry, you get the idea. This forum has many visitors representing differing levels of talent, age, and expertise. Coaching is a large part teaching and patience. Especially for those who have had some history or working with young inexperienced pitchers. It is amazing how sometimes just presenting a little bit of logic mixed with fun can open up some eyes and give some hope to those pitchers who are not natural prodigys.

BTW, I suspect your profile picture is your DD. If so, she has great drive to the plate and pretty good looking form. I attached a pic of my daughter with her pitching staff at SCSU during their regional run in 2002.

Regionals SCSU Pitching Crew.jpg

Jul 15, 2008
that's assuming the rotation of the arm with shoulder as the origin is the only source of power

Aug 2, 2008
I don't think Simo is trying to re-invent the wheel, just giving a different explanation of how the wheel works. IMO kids need visual examples, I like those.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619