Speed and Geometry 101

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Mike you read me correctly. I believe in breaking down the pitching elements and having my pitchers walk through each of them prior to getting on the rubber and throwing. This way you give them a chance to acheive small wins and build confidence. It also gives the pitcher a chance to back up when things are going poorly, correct the problem, and then proceed with renewed confidence.

If you have a pitcher throwing at 50 mph and you can demonstrate to them how by correcting one aspect of their delivery they can acheive an additional 4-5 mph, they usually take notice. Likewise, when I see a pitcher not closing and using their lower body strength, I will have them face me and hold their glove out in front of them. I will roughly stand at about a 45 degree angle in front of them, place my elbow at my side and extend my arm at 90 degrees to my side. I will then snap my hip forward striking her glove with the palm of my hand. They get the message pretty quick when I knock the glove off their hand how important using the lower body is to speed. That snap can add another 3-4 mph to the pitch. Now, you have a girl who did not have the confidence to throw with the big dogs convinced that with good form and practice they can become dominating pitcher. It is all about building the young lady up and drivng good habits.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Dear Remind, you are correct. There are many sources of power. I instruct pitchers in steps. 1. The grip 2. Wrist 3. Forearm 4. 90 degree drill/lower body 5. 180 degrees with simple step and follow through 6. 180 degree drill with more complete follow through 7. Complete action. By doing this, the pitcher can master each element individually and acheive small wins to build confidence. It also allows the pitcher to return to individual elements to correct problems. I will not allow my pitchers to throw from the mound without completing the elements and mastering them. There is nothing more frustrating than watching some coach throw a kid on the mound and then try to correct problems haphazardly when things are going haywire. You need a systematic approach to get to the root of most bad technique.

Aug 2, 2008
"Likewise, when I see a pitcher not closing and using their lower body strength,"

I am a more open than closed advocate, are you talking slamming the door or closing to the 45 52 degree range. Not a fan of slamming the door. Can you elaborate.

Thanks,
Mike

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
It is just an exaggerated way of illustrating the importance of closing the hips and driving rotation with your lower body. When girls leave their butts behind they end up bowling and lose a lot of power. I am a bit confused about the being an open advocate vs closed.

Aug 2, 2008
I am a bit confused about the being an open advocate vs closed.

Now Im confused:D I think were confusing each other. IMO closing the hips, or closing hard/slamming the door doesn't add velocity or power, it might be neccessary for certain pitches, curves, turn over drops, I dont know. On the above quote I simply mean I want my daughter getting open early (sideways) and creating whip by planting solid, stayng tall, staying sideways and allowing her hand to pass by her hip unobstructed. I agree with your thoughts on keeping the lever long and close, that creates whip, which creates speed and power.

When girls leave their butts behind they end up bowling and lose a lot of power.

Yes, bowling motion is bad. I would say Ueno closes and Finch doesn't, hard to argue either of those two. Maybe its a matter of style.

Mike

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Yes, bowling motion is bad. I would say Ueno closes and Finch doesn't, hard to argue either of those two. Maybe its a matter of style.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Mike, I attended a seminar at Iowa some years back and they featured a men's FP pitcher. He could throw 70 just using his upper body strength. He had terrible form for a girl to watch and try to learn from. I thought he was a poor choice for a girls FP seminar. Pitchers like Finch are (and I mean this respectfully) freaks of nature. They are the 4-5 sigmas of human pitchers. No different than Michael Jordan or Labronne James.

Aug 2, 2008
Pitchers like Finch are (and I mean this respectfully) freaks of nature.

Agreed.

My daughter is only 11. We have only been around pitching a few years. I feel like your talking over my head a bit, (knock on me not you). I like your original thoughts on demonstrating whip. I will run with that as it make sense to me.

Thanks,
Mike

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Agreed.

My daughter is only 11. We have only been around pitching a few years. I feel like your talking over my head a bit, (knock on me not you). I like your original thoughts on demonstrating whip. I will run with that as it make sense to me.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I envy you because the journey is over before you know it. Go to as many games and seminars as you can and take from each a tidbit of what works for you. Most of all, enjoy working with your daughter, be patient and keep her interested. It is hard to relate to today's kids. When you have softball as a common ground, that conversation about the game at the dinner table often leads to what is going on in your daughter's life and peer group. It is great. Have fun!

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks, we are having fun.

enjoy working with your daughter, be patient and keep her interested.

Thats good advise, I see so much of the opposite all the time.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes