Runner vs. No runner speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2014
Just curious the groups experience with this. On occasion there just happens to be no runner to practice off of for a pitcher. What speed difference do you see with runner vs no runner?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2012
I was curious about the original question before rubber was changed to rubber. Always wondered if there was a speed difference from just pitching off a spot in the backyard vs off the rubber.

May 23, 2014
I was curious about the original question before rubber was changed to rubber. Always wondered if there was a speed difference from just pitching off a spot in the backyard vs off the rubber.
My guess is there would be just based off being able to push off, but this group has so much more experience I figured there might be some anecdotal data

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Velocity is only one part of a pitching workout. Also, a pitcher needs to get used to warming up without a rubber. The vast majority of fields that are used don't have a bullpen, or a bullpen with a rubber, for the pitcher to warm up on. At most travel ball and varsity fields that I have seen the pitchers warmup in the area between the baselines and the dugouts. For an accomplished pitcher not having a rubber may make a difference.

May 23, 2014
Velocity is only one part of a pitching workout. Also, a pitcher needs to get used to warming up without a rubber. The vast majority of fields that are used don't have a bullpen, or a bullpen with a rubber, for the pitcher to warm up on. At most travel ball and varsity fields that I have seen the pitchers warmup in the area between the baselines and the dugouts. For an accomplished pitcher not having a rubber may make a difference.
Agreed of course. And those things are given. I’m actually just curious about the specific point of whether a pitcher using a rubber would have more speed than without

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28